Smoked Bologna

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
I did my first smoked bologna today. Scored it and wet it down with a little Reverend Marvins Hot and then seasoned heavily with WRB. Let sit in the fridge to set up for about an hour, then onto the Jr. at 225* with 2 small pieces of apple wood for smoke for 1.5 hours. Turned out fantastic, but......................I think it's going to be 100x better after sitting overnight in the fridge! I also did some wings in the oven (wasn't feeling great so I didn't feel like farting with the wings outside), please forgive me! Cooked the wings at 550* for 45 minutes, then sauces half with a Key Lime Habanero and the other half with a Sweet Chipotle sauce.

Definitely going to try one of these on the next WSM cook as the secondary when making ribs, brisket, shoulder, etc. My wife and my brother in law loved bologna growing up and whenever I show pictures of these to my wife she gives the thumbs up. Going to happen on the next smoke. Thanks for posting.

nice ! i would like to try smoking a bologna also. i need to do a beef one as the wifey is allergic to pork. what is a good brand to try/use? thanks,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
nice ! i would like to try smoking a bologna also. i need to do a beef one as the wifey is allergic to pork. what is a good brand to try/use? thanks, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got the chunk I used from the local grocery store. It was Oscar Mayer Beef Bologna and it worked great!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Larry, do you think scoring the chunk helped get the smoke flavor into the meat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but the smoke was still very subtle, which is what I wanted. The bologna was good yesterday hot off the grill, however it was incredible this morning cold out of the fridge! Definitely something that tastes better cold. I may have to try a fried piece to see how that is!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
The bologna was good yesterday hot off the grill, however it was incredible this morning cold out of the fridge! Definitely something that tastes better cold. I may have to try a fried piece to see how that is! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Larry, Bologna looks great. I keep wanting to do one, just never remember. Sounds like the day after is better, just like a fattie. I find I like the fattties better the next day. They seem to develope more flavor to me. Don't get me wrong, they are good right off the smoker but better to me the next day. Mmm fried bologna sammies. I used to fry up ring bologna and make a sammie out of that. Good eats.
icon_smile.gif

Man that looks good. I have made 3 since the turn of the year at work. The guys love it. I pick up bologna at sams. It is a 5# bologna for $5 and some change. I forget the brand off of the top of my head but it is very good. As for the next day I don't know. I haven't had any make it to the next day. I usually slice it to 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick and serve on a bun. The bologna is a bit smaller diameter than what you get at the store and fits on a bun nicely.

You can also find the 5 lb chubs at Walmart. About $5.50 Its the bomb. People that dont like bologna love it. makes awesome sandwiches.

My sams has the bologna in the cool cases near the meat shop. They have other meats in the case like brats and sausages even cheese. I am thinking the brand name is Kentucky's Best. Don't hold me to that though. They also make hot dogs and and have like 100 dogs in the package for around $5.

Our walmarts don't carry the chubs like sams, that I have seen anyhow.

Wings at 550 for 45 minutes? Is that correct? How'd they turn out? I always deep fry mine, and am interested in alternate ways to cook...

I've only used that high a heat when I'm cooking Alton's Brined Turkey (30 minutes) and it always sets off the smoke detector.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
Larry,
I am still trying to find out if salami smokes. Ever do one? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dave, Salami as in Hard/Genoa salami or the cooked, whole black peppercorns in there American Sub salami?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Dave, Salami as in Hard/Genoa salami or the cooked, whole black peppercorns in there American Sub salami? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The cooked regular deli type salami not the hard

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Jeff, where in Sam's do you find it? I've yet to see it at ours.
icon_frown.gif

Thanks,

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Bill if you can't find the whole roll, you can ask the person at the deli to cut off whatever size hunk you would like from what they have behind the counter.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lindsey Maddox:
Wings at 550 for 45 minutes? Is that correct? How'd they turn out? I always deep fry mine, and am interested in alternate ways to cook...

I've only used that high a heat when I'm cooking Alton's Brined Turkey (30 minutes) and it always sets off the smoke detector. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lindsey, they turned out great. The skin was crisp and the insides were moist.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Dave, Salami as in Hard/Genoa salami or the cooked, whole black peppercorns in there American Sub salami? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The cooked regular deli type salami not the hard </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dave, Then I see no reason why it wouldn't be tasty. The hard type, not so sure if that would work or not? But the cooked is not that much different than a minced bologna. Let us know how it turns out.
icon_cool.gif

Back