Smoked bologna

Tim

Hay guys I smoked a couple of butts and 4 fatties and a 5lb chub of bologna last weekend. If you havent tried smoked bologna it is awesome. Smoked about 4 hours after scoring it and rubbing with my usual rub. Was a big hit at dinner. Try it guys and its cheap ! $5 at Walmart.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim:
Hay guys I smoked a 5lb chub of bologna last weekend. If you havent tried smoked bologna it is awesome. Smoked about 4 hours after scoring it and rubbing with my usual rub. Was a big hit at dinner. Try it guys and its cheap ! $5 at Walmart. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Would this be just regular plain old minced bologna? And what is a chub? a chunk, piece? I have read Stogies recipe in the cooking section many times over the years and always wondered what type of bologna he uses. I have always wanted to make this, but was unsure of the bologna. Thanks, much.

Bryan, I just get the chunk or roll as we call it. I usually cut the roll on half lengthwise and score it. It is good stuff!

Just buy what you like Bryan. I don't think it matters. Sams sells 5# packages for $5 I picked one of them up last summer. I took the wsm to work and set it a cookin early. 9 or 10 of us tore it up for lunch. I was cutting at least 1/2 inch slabs. There was one piece left when it was said and done.

I bought some pipe and done it stogies way a couple of times now and probobly won't again. The plugs always shrink up faster and make a mess in the smoker. I don't think having the holes in the bologna made any taste difference.

I kind of forgot about this. I may have to pick up another, it has been a while.

Paul, I used a piece of pipe and cored it like stogie has in his write up. I don't remember using any rub. It has been a while.

I definately didn't score it though. I would be hesitant of that. It has a tendency to swell and any weak link may cause it to split. You could try it and let us know. Even if it does split apart doesn't mean it isn't any good.

Jeff, thanks. I'm going to be hanging around this weekend and thought I'd try some short cooks like fatties, meatloaf, and bologna. I know what you mean about the swelling and splitting. Kind of like when I cook hot dogs on the grill for the kids

Alright all this talk about bologna made me hungry for it. I picked one up at sams. Should be ready for lunch tomorrow. I haven't ever put on a rub. I wonder if wild willies would be good on bologna

Jeff, did smoked bologna this weekend. Couple of observations. One, I don't think I smoked it long enough(about 2hours).How long do you cook it for? Without the plug holes the smoke doesn't get into the meat other than the ends. Did I miss something on this cook???. The smoked portions tasted great. Cooked with cherry and maple wood

I'm going to bring this one back to life instead of starting a new thread. I picked up a 5# bologna and was wondering if anyone had any new tips? I think I will leave out the drilling and coring as it seems excessive, but does anyone have suggestions about the scoring/rubs/or wood?

i did a 2lb chunk the other day. i used a small chunk of oak and pecan. rubbed it with garlic and paprika powder. came out good. you just get the taste on the bark but sure added that nice touch to the sammies. plan on doing it again soon.

I just checked and its a 3lber not a 5. I see in Tony's thread that he cooked to 140, so I'll probably use that rather then going by time. From his pictures it doesn't look like the scoring was a problem. I'm getting kind of excited to smoke this baby, I know it sounds funny but its been a long time since I had a good bologna sammich!

Probably a dumb question....does the end result take a lot like bologna? I ask because I don't like it too much plain, and was wondering if it tasted a lot different after smoking.

if you don't like bologna you won't like it smoked. it tastes like bologna with a nice bark and smoke flavoring. i think i used pecan but don't really remember.

Back