Smoked Alaskan Halibut

Biff Krekling

My next door neighbor caught several hundred pounds of Halibut on her recent Alaskan fishing trip. Has anyone ever smoked Halibut and if so do ypou have any advice. I'm thinking on trying the Smoked Salmon way.

Biff

Biff:

Living in Alaska for the past 15 years we have eaten a lot of fresh halibut and salmon, and I will say that while we love smoked salmon and enjoy it year round, my wife and I have never found smoked halibut as appealing. The fish itself is so mild it typically is overpowered by the smoking process. That being said, we have learned over the years that fresh halibut holds its flavor well for months in the freezer (even better when vacuum packaged before freezing), unlike salmon which has a shorter freezer life. We usually stockpile our freezer with fresh halibut whenever it hits the stores or when we are fortunate enough to benefit from someone's successful halibut fishing trip. If you are interested in ways to cook that excess halibut I will be glad to share our 2 favorite recipes both of which involve coating the fish in a good seafood breader mix and sauteing in olive oil (or butter). One recipe then finishes off with lemon juice, white wine, slivers of garlic, fresh parsley and capers, while the other uses vermouth, fresh basil and fresh chopped tomatoes (capers optional). Guaranteed crowd pleasers. And of course another all time favorite is beer battered and deep fried halibut chunks. Please let me know if you want the details.

Tom
icon_smile.gif

I agree with Tom. Worst case, you can grill it (maybe on a cedar plank?), but halibut is much better prepared in a pan. You might try throwing it in a pan with some tomatos, green peppers and onion. Of course you'll need some olive oil, and herbs. Loads of good recipes out there for halibut.

Tom, YES...Please send all three recipes and any other details you may have. I'll let you know how each recipe turns out.

Thanks,

Biff

An old of freexing fish is to completely submerge it in water. This prevents it from drying out AKA freezer burn. Traditionally it was done in 1/2 gallon milk jugs.

I use a zip lock and place the fillets in and some water and zip the bag 90% closed, burp the last air out and then close the bag the rest of the way while water is spuring out. There is no air next the the phish phlesh to dry it out. It can keep up to 6 months or more and to thaw just submerge in cold water.

Also, any recipe for flounder fillets should work for halibut, isn't it just a flounder with a steriod problem?
icon_smile.gif

Thanks,

TT

Halibut is pretty good when grilled steaked to about 1" thick. Tom's recipes got me interested in trying the Halibut deep fried as well.

Back