Smoked a fatty (pics)

Pete Nelson

My parents were coming over today for a late lunch, so I decided to give one a try. Well, two actually.

This is the first one. Did it yesterday as a trial run.

Ingredients: Sausage, bacon, onion, peppers, cheese
3261014167_2d0743a1cc_o.jpg

These are getting cooked, chopped and stuffed in the sausage.
3261014049_7bdf87b133_o.jpg

Onions and peppers. I dumped the bacon grease and scrapings into these.
3261842012_1962dfc71a_o.jpg

Sausage flattened and ready for stuffing
3261841902_045db1fb56_o.jpg

Rolled with a bacon weave. It got a little overstuffed and I forgot to get a pic before it got rolled.
3261013691_6e9d916703_o.jpg

Put a little Salt Lick BBQ sauce on it and popped it on the WSM
3261013565_37f36612be_o.jpg

Took about 2.5hrs to get it to 170F internal temp.
3261343843_f940f1165d_o.jpg

3262171048_914fc98f56_o.jpg

Fatty #2, turned out better. Spread the sausage out a bit more, added more cheese and got it to roll better.

The bacon weave
3263958953_5d99fd67db_o.jpg

The finished product
3263952023_44711bf5b0_o.jpg

3264778612_d970eae05f_o.jpg

Awesome job Pete! You took some great photos too. I always have a heck of a time rolling them. Practice makes perfect though. I did a couple fatties on the performer last week because I was too lazy to clean the wsm. Temp control is a little more tricky but not bad.

Brandon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">so I decided to give one a try. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Those look better than any I have ever made, and I have made several!
NICE JOB!
What did your parents think?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:
I always have a heck of a time rolling them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Lay out the sausage on a piece of parchment paper and then roll up the fattie buy taking one end of the parchment and moving it towards the other end. Pretty much rolls up on it's own once you get it started.
icon_wink.gif

Yes Pete, great pics and great looking fatties. Nice job indeed.
icon_cool.gif

Pete - if those pics don't want to make someone try a fatty, I don't know what will.
icon_cool.gif
That is definitely on my list for the spring cook-out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Originally posted by Brandon A:
I always have a heck of a time rolling them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Lay out the sausage on a piece of parchment paper and then roll up the fattie buy taking one end of the parchment and moving it towards the other end. Pretty much rolls up on it's own once you get it started.
icon_wink.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used a piece of HD foil to roll my fatties on, and I tried to roll them from end to end as you said but it didnt seem to help. Maybe I need to let the sasuage thaw more so it rolls more easily. Is there an advantage to using parchment paper instead of foil? If so I'll have to pick some up.

The one I rolled yesterday had been sitting out a bit longer, so the sausage wasn't cold and didn't stay together well. Today, I kept it refrigerated until I needed to roll it out and it maintained its shape much better.

My parents liked it and took home the leftovers. I have the first one vacuum sealed in the freezer. It's tasty, but not something I want to eat for dinner all week.
icon_smile.gif

Oh yeah, while I was making the fatty yesterday, my wife whipped up some cupcakes. Chocolate with caramel and peppermint frosting.

3261840754_a66dddbc14_o.jpg

I am new to the website and had previously asked questions about the fatty. Your's looks really great! And you had plenty of detail about prep & cooking. Now you have me inspired to fix one myself.

Back