Smoked a Butterball ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy

For my 2nd smoke, I smoked a 12lb Self Basting Butterball. I had the WSM going at a steady 325 temp measured at the top grid using the ET-73. Very happy about about that.

When I checked I wanted to check the Turkey Temp at the 2 hour mark, it was at 175 at the breast.

I immediately took it off and wrapped some foil around it for about 15 minutes. I was worried it would be too dry, but it was not. I was surprised that I achieved this Temp at the 2 hour mark ! I guess next time I will check it at the 1.5 hour mark or so. ( I have 2 more in the freezer right now )

Has any one else had a 12lb BB Turkey done this quick ??

The recipe or guide estimates about 2.5 to 3 hours.

Nothing was wrong at all with the taste or flavor. It was better than I expected.

One other thing, when I opened the lid at the 2 hour mark...Wow ! the color and the aroma was awesome. A nice medium brown tint. The skin did not taste like rubber. It came out slightly crispy.

Thanks

Cheers
Troy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The skin did not taste like rubber. It came out slightly crispy. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The skin was not rubbery because your temps were high enough to crisp the skin. The rubbery texture comes from cooking poulty at low temps. If you were looking for a crispier skin than you had, don't foil after you take it off the cooker.

Troy
I always check poultry in the thickest part of the thigh, looking for 175 to 180. Brining or solution addded helps the breast because they will go over prime finish temp. The foiling allowed the thighs to get done during the rest but as Larry stated the skin won't be crispy.
Jim

Yes, it was a bit windy with some light drizzle as well...Something I did not factor in.

Thanks

Cheers
Troy

Windy conditions get have quite the little blast furnace going in your bullet. Sometimes wind helps, most times it hurts. I usually use a wind screen to help keep temps down (wind get the fire burning too hot). But it is usually a lot warmer here than were you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back