smoke wood

S Whipple

TVWBB Member
Hey, Is there a recommended method to speed up the seasoning process of freshly harvested smokewood? If so, how do you know when smokewood has seasoned long enough? I'd appreciate your feedback.

If you can cut it into small chunks (the size you'd use to smoke with or smaller) you'll speed the process dramatically. Further, if you store some (or all) of it inside where it is out of the elements that will help as well. A few weeks tops, you're good to go.

Welcome to the board.

Welcome! This place is packed with info. Great resource.

What kind of smokewood have you harvested?

Aloha,

Greg Kemp

Depending on where you live, you might want to be careful bringing wood indoors. It's amazing how many critters are living under the bark.
icon_smile.gif

If you only need to dry a few pounds, consider cutting the wood into small chunks and firing up the WSM.

That's what the house lizards are for!
icon_smile.gif

'In' can be a garage or shed. If either are heated (or, here, A/C'd) so much the better as the drier ambience will speed things up.

Thanks Greg. This fall I have harvested White Oak, Pin Oak, Swamp Chestnut Oak, Wild Black Cherry, and Sugar Maple. Last week I purchased some hickory, pecan, and a log of freshly cut apricot form a local tree trimming service. All of which as been cut up into chucks and I'm patiently waiting for it to season.

Right now I'm 3 hours into a chuck roast w/Swamp Chestnut Oak and my fingers are crossed.

Back