smoke wood

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

First of all, I would like to thank the virtual weber bullet web site for turning me on to the the Smokey Mountain Cooker. If I hadn't stumbled on to this site, I would have bought a Brinkman as my first smoker. I had the WSMC on my Christmas list and recieved it Thursday from Amazon. Can't wait to cook on it. I have 2 questions, Is there anything I should watch for the first time I cook on it? Also, I have a friend who has a wood shop and has left over pieces of oak that are kiln dried, is this suitable for using as smoke wood? Thanks for all the info that I have used on this site.

Congrats on the WSM, sounds like you been good this year...lol...

Nothing to do but fire it up and cook! It might cook a little hot the first time or two. Reflects more heat till you get a little build up on the inside surfaces. Just use a therm to watch your temps and play with the vents till ya get the hang of it. A little adjustment goes a long way. Give it time to react to any changes you make. Read the info in the cooking tab at the top of the forum for some excellent tips. And keep on asking questions here! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Great bunch of folks on here and they all have helped me a great deal. Good luck, and you made the right choice with WSM!!!

Happy Holidays

Also, I have a friend who has a wood shop and has left over pieces of oak that are kiln dried, is this suitable for using as smoke wood? Thanks for all the info that I have used on this site. [/QB][/QUOTE]
Forgot to address your question about the kiln. I have asked the same question and got different views. I too have access to oak, hickory, maple, alder, from a cabinet shop. The cabinet man says heat is the only thing used in the drying process. Others say some chemicals might be present. Shop owner uses his scraps to smoke with. Just have use your own judgement here. If you find out more on this subject, I would like to hear from you.

Welcome!!! Enjoy your WSM--
Kiln drying is the process of using heat to draw out the moisture levels to an acceptable level to prevent warping and twisting. Heat is all that is needed to complete this process. I have used scrap pieces of maple and oak flooring for years when I smoke with no problems. You would not want to use any wood with an applied finish on it for smoking.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back