smoke wood, where to get it?

I get mine from a cabinet shop, they have a scrap bin full of small drops, red oak, maple, cherry, it is all dry and ready to go.

I just thought I would pass that on.

Steve

yes it's untreated, I have been with him when he picks it up. They buy from a amish sawmill, it is rough sawn and dry kilned, I use the drops from face frames and cabinet door parts.

You can also call tree services. The companies that people call to cut down their trees. Most sell the wood.

I agree with you. If you offer to throw in some 'Q and keep your word on it, you can almost count on a discount next time around.

You can also call tree services. The companies that people call to cut down their trees. Most sell the wood.

You might want to look right in your own backyard. I may live on a very small urban lot, but I was able to "harvest" some peach and maple wood. The builder planted maple trees in the backyard because they are fast grower, and a previous owner planted a peach and an apple tree. Not only do I get smoking wood cheap, but I could get a little fruit, also.

These do make good smoking wood, but other hardwoods work well. Oak for instance is a good wood and is available around many housing developments. One thing I have employed to get some oak was to go to a seller of fire wood for stoves and fire places. I asked to buy a few pieces for smoking. He said it wasn't worth the effort to do the paper work, so he gave me three fireplace sized pieces.

Happy wood hunting.

Aunt & uncle had a huge cherry tree come down over the winter. I have more than I can imagine and wish I could share with more people.
They also had an oak & hickory tree I cut up. Anyone want a trashcan load? :D

And if you are a golfer and belong to a club, ask your groundskeeper for any fruit wood from trees he has trimmed. I got a lot of pecan this way. Enough to last me for 6 years and I still have more!
Ray

Local apple orchards may give you trimmings for free. I can buy a cord of hardwood which is mostly sugar maple and red oak for $80-$120 dollars if I needed that much but I just raid friends wood piles for oak. I've got lots of sugar maple on my lot so I get my own from them.

Back