Smoke Wood - Where do you get it

shervie

TVWBB Member
Im having a tough time finding smoke wood around me, specifically chunks. I can get hickory and mesquite chunks but I'd like some oak and apple. I have a hard time ordering it online when I can look out my window and see 18 zillion trees. To me its kinda like ordering apples online if you live in Washington or Michigan. Anyway, I guess I'll bite the bullet and do it. Can I get some suggestions either online or maybe ideas of something Ive over looked? Ive been to Ace and Wally World with no luck. Ill try home depot and lowes today.
Thanks

As many know I'm a big fan of Smokinlicious can't beat their wood. However, next week I'll be picking up a few bags from The Woodshed in OC. Can't beat their price, 30 lbs for $24. Price wold probably be more in-line with Smokinlicious if I had to pay shipping.

Just checked out the site that Jim talked about, and they are at 1.79 per lb delvd, and Smokinlicious is at 1.50 per lb delvd. Not trying to steal your thunder Jim, but I too am a huge fan of Smokinlicious and their customer service, but do the math, and they have great sizes on their chunks. Not too big and yet not too small.

My buddy is a tree surgeon and likes to bbq. So i get it from him it is a great source. If you have a tree guy in your area may be a good source some my give it to you for free.

Bryan do know what their shipping charge is? I would like to try some Pecan when they have it again. I just bought another 50lb of Apple up here in NH for $30 with no shipping just went and picked it up.

I like to try and use local wood when I can. I just had about a dozen trees dropped on my property. Gave most of the wood away (about 4 cords or oak, maple, and hickory), but found some room to keep about 200 pounds of hickory and 50 each of oak and maple. An orchard about 30 minutes from my house is where I get my fruit woods from. Can beat the apple, and last year I got some pear and cherry. Hoping I can convince them to lead me to a pile of plum or peach this year to try that out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted April 18, 2008 05:16 PM Hide Post
Paul
If you don't mind me asking where in N.H.did you pick it up?
Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike here is the link. http://www.speedseed.com/woodchipforw.html Call him or email him first. You end up picking it up at his house in Derry NH. He lives right in the middle of the apple orchards up there. He sells whole sale to places in Boston. His prices are off on the website I just bought a 50lb bag for 30 dollars. Good luck.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Balzotti:
Bryan do know what their shipping charge is? I would like to try some Pecan when they have it again. I just bought another 50lb of Apple up here in NH for $30 with no shipping just went and picked it up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Paul, In this day and age it's pretty cheap IMO. I put 40lbs of chunks in my cart and then clicked on checkout. Just fill the short form out and click on apply for the shipping rates. $15.43 shipping, for 40 lbs of wood for me down in PA.
icon_smile.gif

Thank you all for your replys. I'll think I might go over to a local orchard that grows apple and peach trees to see what they do with their trimmings and what not. But Im sure Ill be falling back on this thread soon, thanks again

Mark that is sometimes the best way to do it. When My friend picked up the apple wood for us a couple of weeks ago he stopped by the local orchard and they let him fill a box full of clippings from the trees. He acquired a whole bunch for nothing. Good luck.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">nwsmoke.com </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As an aside, am I the only guy who closes a site when the sound kicks in? Maybe it's value added somehow, but I know it drives some potential customers away 'cause I'm one.

Rick

You guys in the OC are very lucky. Went to The Woodshed today and picked up some wood to take home with me. Red Oak, Pecan and Oak Wine Casks, he was out of apple though. Can't beat a 30 lb bag for $24. Great place, guy was very helpful. Mentioned they'd be having a sale on smoking wood soon.

Too bad I won't be home until Saturday to try any of this great wood
icon_frown.gif

I'm not sure if this is true because I don't know how to test it.

I was told that palettes are made out of hickory and oak. That the slats are hickory and the middle supports are oak.

Anyone know if this is true?

Back