Smoke wood in front yard

Patrick B

My mother had a tree in her front yard recently pruned. I can not tell what type of tree it is and i would love to know so i can use for smoke wood. It is a tall tree, about 30-40 feet and has what we as kids called itchy balls. They are green spikey seeds the tree sheds to reproduce. The tree has green leaves dark grey bark and is common in Brooklyn/NYC. Any clues?

I remember the seeds you're refering to... This tree?, although the bark doesn't quite match..Or maybe Sweet Gum. . . Chestnut maybe? There are several here to search through..
icon_smile.gif

Sweet Gum is my guess also. But since urban areas are notorious for having imported exotics planted, you might want to take a sample to the bookstore and look in a tree identification book, or even go to a place like the Brooklyn Arboritum(SP?) and have it identified.

Hi bal, and welcome to the bulletin board!

One small point...We use real names here on the bulletin board. Not sure if bal is a name or not. Please read this topic about display name.

If you have any questions or concerns, please click "Contact Us" at the bottom of the page and send me an e-mail.

Thanks for your attention to this matter,
Chris

Is sweetgum OK to use for smoking?? Is it a sub-species of sycamore or something? The pictures make me think it is a sweetgum.

Do not use sweetgum for smoking. It has a funky smell when burning, especially if it contains a certain ammount of moisture still in the wood.

I wont even burn it in my fireplace.

Mikeeeeeeeeeeeee

Back