Smoke Ring

If you are smoking brisket pieces - and a 5.5-pounder as noted in the OP is a piece - I would highly suggest foiling at 160 tops.

Minion the start with a dozen lit. Load the meat in cold.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does that sound right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

make sure the brisket is cold, straight from the fridge. milk your temp ramp up. start shutting vents down sooner and more gradually. You want the surface of the brisket <140* for as long as you can (within reason since the meat hasn't been cured).

I don't wrap at a specific temp, but use the exterior appearance as my guide. If you wrap prior to bark formation, you won't end up with much. Wrap the brisket when the appearance of the surface has darkened (slightly) and gotten crusty.

I agree with an earlier comment - follow the advice on this board and you will be happy with the outcome. The first time I did HH brisket I cooked two, about 9-10 lbs each, one on bottom grate and one on top. I followed Chris's HH guide from the cooking section as closely as possible. I was very pleasantly surprised at how well it turned out (and that was only my third time cooking a brisket).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by john leech jr:
I spray my briskets with water about every half hour or so. The water asnd steam help with smoke ring </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spraying and mopping will keep/slow the temps of the brisket, I.E. it cools it. Thing I don't like about that is it also increases the duration of the cook overall due to all the opening, closing of the lid, another topic though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Spraying and mopping will keep/slow the temps of the brisket, I.E. it cools it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

which is only relevant during the part of the cook where the surface temp is <140*. Most people don't start mopping until later in the cook. That's why I hoping John can clarify his comment.

I have a renewed interest in mopping. I like the idea of keeping the surface temp of the brisket <175* for the duration of the cook. It has a sous vide feel to it.

I also cook meats fat side down. I used to trim the fat cap off of butts but finally learned that isnt a good idea. When the butt is done and you peel the fat cap off, that meat is my favoite part.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Spraying and mopping will keep/slow the temps of the brisket, I.E. it cools it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

which is only relevant during the part of the cook where the surface temp is <140*. Most people don't start mopping until later in the cook. That's why I hoping John can clarify his comment.

I have a renewed interest in mopping. I like the idea of keeping the surface temp of the brisket <175* for the duration of the cook. It has a sous vide feel to it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, kind of read that intent into your post
icon_smile.gif

It's SOP when grilling briskets (and ribs for that matter). One flips fairly frequently and mops immediately. This cools the surface, freshly away from direct heat, and slows cooking. It works for flat or fairly flat cuts.

Water-based mops are cooling. Fat-based mops are the opposite.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg Weiss:
I started with about 5 chunks of hickory and about 3 chunks of cherry (both dry). During the duration of the cooking, I added maybe another 5 chunks of hickory in total (about 1-2 per hour) and another 2-3 chunks of cherry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that seems like an awful lot of wood to me, I guess it depends on the size of the chunks. I usually bury 3 fist size chunks in the unlit coal and that's it. Obviously, there's no need to add additional wood once you've foiled.

Back