Smoke Pellets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clay J

TVWBB Fan
I've been gathering woods since I got my WSM. I now have a good selection of chunks to use on different cooks.

This weekend I needed more charcoal and since I was in Waldemart (the store who mustn't be named as my kids call it) I decided to grab it there. Back in their outdoor section I saw allot of "smoking supplies". Of course it was hickory and mequite chunks. But they also had about 5 different bags with smoking pellets in them.

Has anyone ever used these pellets before? Some sounded intriguing and some sounded like pre-mixed unspecified left overs.

How would you use them on a WSM? Would I have to get one of the little smoke boxes to set among the coals?

Pellets work fine, use either a smoke box or make a bag out of H/D foil and seal in pellets. Punch a few holes in the bag and throw it on the fire.
Jim

I tried some of those 'BBQ Delight' pellets found in Wal-Mart - but only when they were on clearance.

They worked fine, especially for adding smoke on a gas grill with smaller tasks like burgers or fish.

I used them in my off-set smoker but they didn't seem to last as long as chunk wood and would be more expensive.

There are grills/smokers, such as the Traeger Grill, that actually just use pellets as fuel but you'll probably need to get pellets in 40lb bags.

And you're right about 'unspecified left overs' and you have to be careful and read the 'ingredients'. Plain wood pellets meant for heat stoves typically contain pine and should not be used to cook food. Smoking pellets are made from specific hardwoods - typically hickory or oak.

I recently bought a bag of apple pellets by Weber. I just used them for a chicken leg/thigh 4 hour session and I thought it came out GREAT. I put a small amount in a H/D foil pouch with 1 hole. The amount of smoke/flavor was perfect for the chicken- last time I used too much oak and the wife did not like it. I am planning on trying it out on some ribs next time.
Has anybody used them on ribs?

Candy Weaver's BBQ Delight pellets are great for smoke on the WSM. There are about 14 varieties, I think, including everything from hickory, oak, pecan, and mesquite to orange, apple, cherry, an herbal blend, and everything in between. We don't use them at all on the offset, only on the WSM.

Make a folded pouch of HD foil, put about 1/3 cup pellets in the pouch, fold it over and seal it well, and poke one hole in the middle of the bag on one side. Set it on the coals in the WSM, and it works great. Walmart and the other stores around here mostly just carry hickory and mesquite, but a gas-log/grill/smoker store that I frequent carries all the varieties, along with the Jack Daniels oak cask pellets as well.

Highly recommended. Or should I say THAT BRAND is highly recommended. I've never used any other brand, so I can't speak for any others besides BBQ Delight.

Yes, I use the pellets on ribs every time I cook in the WSM - again, not on the offset, since it's a log-burner and we use pecan logs in it. I've used mostly pecan, apple, and cherry on my ribs. Cherry's my favorite. Or apple... or maybe pecan. I can't seem to make up my mind on that one. The smoke properties of the pellets do carry through the properties of the wood, by the way. The cherry pellets make chicken the same beautiful color of red that cherry chunks do.

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back