Smoke Flavor in meat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom J.

TVWBB Member
Hey guys, I got a question, I have done several Boston Butts and shoulders and I have used spice rubs and did the slow cook thing with plenty of smoke wood, but I still don't get as much smoke flavor in the meat as I would like. I understand that on the larger pieces of meat the smoke only penetrates to a certain depth. I have been to some BBQ joints and the smoke flavor of the que is a lot stronger than what I am getting. I wonder if they are adding something to the meat after it has been pulled.
Second question, I read in Willingham's book that when he prepares a shoulder for cooking he trims off all of the fat except a 3" sock at the shank end. It was my understanding that the fat should be left on so it would render through the meat. I guess if you cut off the fat this will expose more of the meat to the direct smoke. Maybe some of you guys that do competitions can shed some light on this for me.
Thanks

Tom, to preface, I have not seen competition as of yet...perhaps someday soon...but, what wood are you using?

From what I have read, mesquite(which I use all the time) is a real strong smoke wood. In fact I have read that pros caution the over use of it due to its strong flavoring ability. If you haven't used it I would try it. Provides a nice sweet smokey flavor to the meat. Real popular down south I think?! Throw a bunch on(keep track of course)and add or remove as your taste demands.

I think hickory is a wood that falls in the same strong flavor catagorey as mesquite. I buy the weber brand mesquite smoke chunks($2.99/bag) at HD. Just my experience, hope it helps!

I'm sorry I forgot to say that I use hickory chunks for my smoke wood.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom J.:
Hey guys, I got a question, I have done several Boston Butts and shoulders and I have used spice rubs and did the slow cook thing with plenty of smoke wood, but I still don't get as much smoke flavor in the meat as I would like. I understand that on the larger pieces of meat the smoke only penetrates to a certain depth. I have been to some BBQ joints and the smoke flavor of the que is a lot stronger than what I am getting. I wonder if they are adding something to the meat after it has been pulled.
Second question, I read in Willingham's book that when he prepares a shoulder for cooking he trims off all of the fat except a 3" sock at the shank end. It was my understanding that the fat should be left on so it would render through the meat. I guess if you cut off the fat this will expose more of the meat to the direct smoke. Maybe some of you guys that do competitions can shed some light on this for me.
Thanks <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom....

I trim ALL outside fat! There is plenty of inside fat to keep the meat moist and you are correct, more intensly flavored bark.

You are also correct that rub will only penetrate a little......5mm according to tests doen by Merle Ellis. Smoke perhaps a little more, but not much I asssume.

2 things you can do...be sure to mix the outside bark in with the inside meat. Or you can inject some liquid into the inside meat before smoking.

As has been mentioned, various types of wood may also have an effect...use a stronger wood.....hickory is my choice...but it is also my choice because it is free!

The BBQ joints may also be holding meat in their smokers after it has been pulled thereby getting a little more smoky flavor.

One last thing....wait until the next day to REALLY judge the smokiness of the meat. Makes a HUGE difference!

Thanks for the info. Stogie, it sounds like you know what you are talking about. You gave me some good tips.
Thanks

Stogie DEFINITELY knows what he's talking about. He's a very successful competitor AND caterer. If he says it, you can bank on it.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Tom
You could try soaking four chunks of the hickory for a half hour or so and then putting the soaked chunks right on top of the lit coals once you put them in the pitt. Smoke rolls out of mine like a burning mattress for the first half hour to an hour.

Stogie, could you please elaborate on the 'holding in the smoker' after it is pulled. wont that tend to dry out my pulled pork?

Arthur

Thanks for the compliments folks.

Arthur....you can hold pulled pork by keeping it moist...vinegar, sauce, broth, etc. I use 1/2 Hotel pans and can keep them in the smoker without drying them out. You don't want to hold this way all day, but a couple hours like this is OK. Doing this avoids the use of needing to haul around sterno heat and banquet set-ups.

Stogie

Thanks. An hour should beef /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif up the smoke flavor and not dry out the pork then. I believe that will be the way I go next time.

Arthur

Perhaps you could cut your butt into two - four pieces to get more bark surface area if you want it even stronger after Kevin's suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back