Smoke Detectors.

J:
I don't anymore since I retired in 2007. Everyone was hot to trot for the spray smoke for real estate compliance inspections for transfer of ownership. Easier to do with high ceilings, etc. than button pushing. Almost as quickly as it became popular, fire marshalls in RI recommended against it, so we were back to pushing buttons. I remember that was before the Station nightclub fire (2003) after which the whole Rhode Island fire code was rewritten.

I probably shouldn't be surprised, considering that the test sprays are aerosol suspended particulates. But, if that really is the case, I'd also expect warnings against its use in the detector documentation (and if it's there, I've completely missed it.)

I doubt that there are any warnings. I am dubious of any 10 year battery in a SD lasting that long. That might be the perfect battery under simulated conditions instead of real world environments. Using the test button does a couple of things. It checks the functionality of the detector to produce an audible alarm, if required to be interconnected with other devices that it actually activate that one also. If no audible alarm in a battery only device would indicate either a bad detector, no battery or a dead battery. Most of us get annoying low battery chirps naturally in the most difficult detector to remove on our ac/battery backup detectors. . As Linda Ellerbee used to say "and so it goes".

Back