Smoke Day Fail

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Ya win some, you lose some.
Was all set to do the Tri Tip on the Camp Chef due to high forecasted winds up to 50 mph gusts. Well at the time I was going to start the cook there wasen't even a light breeze and had been like that all day. So, I decided to use the performer. KBB and some red oak for smoke.
Tried a new rub and Barb made a great pasta salad she also grilled some corn on the bone.
Everything went well until we sat down to dinner.
The Tri Tip was tougher (been in the freezer almost 20 months) than leather and the rub was terrible. Next up the corn was mealy and no flavor, one bite and we chucked it. At least the pasta salad was good.
This morning I got out the meat slicer and sliced the remaining TT razor thin for some sammies later on after rinsing as much of that horrid rub off of it as I could. That seemed to work.
Some pictures of the failed effort.

101_7740.JPG

101_7743.JPG

101_7745.JPG

101_7746.JPG

Huh, not sure if time in freezer directly affects the tenderness of it.
I get stuff over a year old all the time…..but some cuts just are poor and I have found this to be true many times over the years.
Looks good, it’s too bad, it can happen to anyone every once in a while.

Hi Rich

A less that desirable BBQ happens and the best thing to do with it is to make tacos out of it. Tacos are always good, no matter what

Sorry to hear your meal was not good yesterday. You and Barb deserve a great one; I hope today is it!

Back