Smoke Day - Day 2 pork butt on the E6

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
I was going to start this last night on the BGE, but plans changed.

Since this is during the day, and I'm still learning the low temp control on the E6, I decided to use it.

Clipped in the billows, loaded a bunch of lump, tossed in some hickory pellets and got things going.

Four balls of foil on the deflector to air gap the drip pan. I'll end up shredding in the pan so I don't want burnt fat. I added a little water to the pan. Not sure I need it, butt we'll see.

20220529_094250.jpg

A full size steamer pan is a perfect fit.

20220529_094303.jpg
20220529_094836.jpg

Last edited:
If you get a thermoworks billows and plan to use it on an WSK or a BGE, spend the $3 extra for the adjustable damper.

Thus is where it is set for 225F. Without the damper, there is too much intake air to keep temps down low.

The instructions tell you to put the fan side pointing down to keep rain out, but I like to see the damper so I can adjust it.

20220529_111419.jpg

The E330 gets to help. Started some lump in the gas burner and the magnet backing of the smoke X4 holds on to the side shelf really well.

20220529_095536.jpg

Last edited:
Plugged in the Meater pluses so I can run some errands and check temps from my phone.

I use a budget android tablet as my bridge to the Meater cloud.

20220529_112349.jpg

I wish TW would sell a wifi bridge for the X4.

I like the dedicated remote on the x4 but if they had a wifi bridge so it would work like the signals that would be awesome.

See you in a few hours..

Last edited:
One feature I wish were available on the Meter is continuing and adjusting the cook after the target is reached. Maybe it's possible and I just don't know how to do it, or maybe I'm just odd for wanting that capability. But I always set my target higher than I really want to go because when I start probing and checking temps at several areas with the Thermapen I sometimes discover I need to cook it a little longer.

One feature I wish were available on the Meter is continuing and adjusting the cook after the target is reached. Maybe it's possible and I just don't know how to do it, or maybe I'm just odd for wanting that capability. But I always set my target higher than I really want to go because when I start probing and checking temps at several areas with the Thermapen I sometimes discover I need to cook it a little longer.
Signals allows for on the fly target temp changes. I did this yesterday as my ribs were cooking. Idk if Meater has this functionality though.

I think the Rockwood does burn faster than JDXL.

I haven't used KBB or KPRO in the E6 yet.

I wanted to experiment with the billows, and I'm glad I did while awake to inspect the coal burning pattern and to tinker with the bottom vents along with the billows.

There is an adjust cook feature on my meater plus.

It took me a while to find it.

Open the cook so it is the only cook.

Screenshot_20220530-083114.jpg
Click on the three dots, upper right corner.

Screenshot_20220530-083121.jpg

Select the red text "Adjust" to save the changes.

Screenshot_20220530-083128.jpg

Last edited:

Back