Smoke control

Another question from my 1st cook this weekend..How do you control the smoke amount?

In my offset I could add wood whenever I wanted and high control over my smoke amount.

For my first WSM cook I placed several large chunks throughout my charcoal pile but my smoke amount was highly inconsistent and truely random. Any thoughts on how to control smoke levels?

3-4 fist size chunks will give you all you need. I have never seen anything like what happens in a wsm.

12-16 hours on one ring of kingsford.

3-4 fist size chunks of wood and 12 hours later they are still smoldering and not burned up.

The smoke is heavy on the front end of the cook and light on the back end of the cook. That is just right for me.

Keep in mind just cause your not seeing white smoke doesn't mean your not getting smoke. The Britu ribs recipe for example has you light all the wood first and you still get a nice dark red smoke ring on your ribs from the almost clear smoke coming off the wood.

If I want a little less heavy smoke for something like chicken, I throw the wood chunks on top of the charcoal in the chimney so that the wood will get a little head start. If I want some heavier smoke for a pork butt or chuck I bury a couple of chunks in the charcoal and place 3 or 4 chunks on top of the lit charcoal when I assemble the cooker.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">12-16 hours on one ring of kingsford.

3-4 fist size chunks of wood and 12 hours later they are still smoldering and not burned up.

The smoke is heavy on the front end of the cook and light on the back end of the cook. That is just right for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The wsm is doing it's job. Seeing white smoke for a long time may turn into bitter tasting meat.

Seeing blue smoke or no smoke at all is what you are looking for.

Don't force it.

Depending on what I have and what I am cooking...

3 or 4 chunks of wood burried in the charcoal before starting MM method.

If I have chips, I put them in an aluminum foil bag and poke 1 or 2 holes in the top. Typicall using this method you don't see much smoke but you do get it into the meat.

I use the foil bag with chips a lot when I use a mix of woods.

Back