Smoke absorbed by meat only up to 140 degrees

I found an article online by Kit Anderson about Smoke Rings and have used it successfully now for at least a year. As some of you have already mentioned it’s not about the smoke but about the chemical reaction between nitrates and myoglobin. The reason 140F keeps coming up is because bacteria are needed for this chemical reaction to take place and they are not active above this temperature. According to the article, the best way to maximize the smoke ring is to put the meat on right out of the refrigerator and start out cooking at a lower temperature.

See, I'm learming stuff!!!!!

I found an article online by Kit Anderson about Smoke Rings and have used it successfully now for at least a year. As some of you have already mentioned it’s not about the smoke but about the chemical reaction between nitrates and myoglobin. The reason 140F keeps coming up is because bacteria are needed for this chemical reaction to take place and they are not active above this temperature. According to the article, the best way to maximize the smoke ring is to put the meat on right out of the refrigerator and start out cooking at a lower temperature.

Back