Smashburger Size?

GrantT

TVWBB Pro
What is your go-to patty size for smashburgers? Do you do a larger (4-5oz / 100-150g) single patty with cheese, or two smaller patties with cheese sandwiched between? Two patties EACH with cheese?

Making tonight so just gathering options...

I started out with 2 ounce balls but currently I weigh closer to 3 ounces 80/20 patties and make doubles with double cheese. But you can't go wrong with singles, either.

A good write up from Chris:

100g = 3.5oz raw weight. we prefer a 80/20 or 75/25 if mixing different meat cuts (50 chuck/25 short rib/25 brisket)

two of these cooked, stacked and topped is very filling. with fixings, a double of this cooked size is around a 10 oz food serving. 12 oz if you're my kid.

Last edited:
Just finished dinner of smash burgers. 75 gram patties x 2, so 3 double burgers from a pound of ground beef

On the times I've tried making them, I've used only 2 to 2.5 oz meat. Although I've not had good luck doing them. IDK why but if I really heat my CI griddle it gets really sticky and gummy. Now I have that nice SS griddle from Cuisinart and also one from Corning my mom had gotten years ago with her Corning ceramic top stove. So one day I'll definitely be trying them on those griddles.

100g = 3.5oz raw weight. we prefer a 80/20 or 75/25 if mixing different meat cuts (50 chuck/25 short rib/25 brisket)

two of these cooked, stacked and topped is very filling. with fixings, a double of this cooked size is around a 10 oz food serving. 12 oz if you're my kid.
No cheese?

We do a 2 ounce beef ball and a 2 ounce pork ball with grated cheddar and pepperjack in the middle.
Buns are always toasted.

Thanks all...

We had 900g of "regular ground" chuck to get rid of (found it on huge discount today with tomorrow as a best before date) so not 100% sure what the actual fat percentage was....they say maximum of 30%, but who really knows these days.

Anyways, we did 10 patties of 90g (3.1oz) each so we could make 180g (6 oz) double burgers. American cheese slice between the two patties. Worked out almost perfect for us as we only had a single salad side dish. We previously would make 150g single smash-burgers, but often found it left us wanting another one afterwards. Eating two of them was just way too much. 180g seems to be a good sweet spot for us. If we were also doing fries/poutine etc. I think I would reduce each to 60g-75g (closer to 2+ oz) so I could still do the double burger with a little room. There is something about having that second patty that makes them extra good...

My burger smasher has a lip around the edge so you can't smash right down to the griddle, but I think I need to grind some off as it leaves them a bit thick too...next make-work project!

I see what people call smash burgers and to me they look like regular cheese burgers. The patties are not formed and just smashed down while cooking and they still are 4oz or more........to me doesn't make them a smash burger......to me anyway. More like laziness for just not making the patties from the start.

I believe the burgers must be small in weight......smashed down to really thin and cooked for about 90 seconds or less possibly.
What you see when they are done is the burger still sizzling in the fat that has just been released while cooking very hot.
The end result is crispy edges....nice crust........while maintaining a ton of juice because they have cooked such a short time.
If you are lucky you can still get a trace of pink in the middle of them.
I will post my version of it soon.....the Slate is due to be delivered today and with any luck I can cook some this weekend.

I weigh mine to 2 oz per burger.....I time the cook and add salt while cooking.....I made posts about them before with a poor cast setup so things should improve in my burger world soon. At 2 oz per patty you can have as many as you like.....I believe my last post on them I had 4 patties for a half pounder......but hey it's just my opinion.

Last edited:
I see what people call smash burgers and to me they look like regular cheese burgers. The patties are not formed and just smashed down while cooking and they still are 4oz or more........to me doesn't make them a smash burger......to me anyway. More like laziness for just not making the patties from the start.

I believe the burgers must be small in weight......smashed down to really thin and cooked for about 90 seconds or less possibly.
What you see when they are done is the burger still sizzling in the fat that has just been released while cooking very hot.
The end result is crispy edges....nice crust........while maintaining a ton of juice because they have cooked such a short time.
If you are lucky you can still get a trace of pink in the middle of them.
I will post my version of it soon.....the Slate is due to be delivered today and with any luck I can cook some this weekend.

I weigh mine to 2 oz per burger.....I time the cook and add salt while cooking.....I made posts about them before with a poor cast setup so things should improve in my burger world soon. At 2 oz per patty you can have as many as you like.....I believe my last post on them I had 4 patties for a half pounder......but hey it's just my opinion.
May I suggest that you make smash burgers as your first cook on your Weber Slate!

You may suggest that 100%.......It was what I was considering as it has been a long while since I made them.
I am now in possession of said Slate.....I have everything required ready to go already for this cook.
Gonna run it by the Warden see if she wants to get some of that going this weekend.
Saturday will be the build day for it and then of course the traditional season it up 2 or 3 times while drinking beer.....I got that part right.......right?

You may suggest that 100%.......It was what I was considering as it has been a long while since I made them.
I am now in possession of said Slate.....I have everything required ready to go already for this cook.
Gonna run it by the Warden see if she wants to get some of that going this weekend.
Saturday will be the build day for it and then of course the traditional season it up 2 or 3 times while drinking beer.....I got that part right.......right?
Depends which beer.

Smash burgs really like to stick to the grill....to get that crust off and keep it attached to the burger is a trick.
The look in the pic is what I am aiming for......generally you leave most of it stuck to the grill........
Pic below dictates what I am looking for....found this guy and he made the smash burger on his maiden slate cook....this is his crust.....

Beer.....well I have been learned all the lessons I can.....I will have some delicious ones...nothing like coors light.......not to be picking sides here.
Local craft near me builds mostly Belgian styled ales....and they are quite tasty.......

1717696752254.png

Last edited:
Smash burgs really like to stick to the grill....to get that crust off and keep it attached to the burger is a trick.
The look in the pic is what I am aiming for......generally you leave most of it stuck to the grill........
Pic below dictates what I am looking for....found this guy and he made the smash burger on his maiden slate cook....this is his crust.....

Beer.....well I have been learned all the lessons I can.....I will have some delicious ones...nothing like coors light.......not to be picking sides here.
Local craft near me builds mostly Belgian styled ales....and they are quite tasty.......

View attachment 92697
Yep they do. However, I have a Weber sharp edge spatula and I can flip them easily.

Also remember to refrigerate the meat balls before cooking. That allows you to smash them without loosing all the juice.

Yep they do. However, I have a Weber sharp edge spatula and I can flip them easily.

Also remember to refrigerate the meat balls before cooking. That allows you to smash them without loosing all the juice.
I picked up the Weber kit for griddles...it has a heavy spatula and a thin one...I have them in the car, haven't inspected them yet.
Also came with the scrapper and 2 squirt bottles.....seemed like a good kit and a good name, should work out.
I have a massive spatula to smash the burgers with already......always seems like you need 2 minimum.

1717701437289.png

Back