Smash Burgers on Griddle

Mike-BBQ

TVWBB Member
I have a half griddle attachment for my Weber 435. It works well. I have a question on how many smash burgers are people comfortable with preparing at once--granted some of you have full griddles. It is easy cooking for just my wife and I with the quickness it takes to make the smash burgers. The question is if the family is over and you are cooking smashes for say 8-10 people, how do you handle that? If I only do 3 or 4 at a time, then the burgers would get cold. Looking for any suggestions.

Have all the fixings ready to go and draw lots for order served. Everyone won't be able to eat together or some will be eating cold. That's how it works here

Aluminum tray on the other grate of the grill, isolated so as to reduce the heat hitting the bottom burgers. Or aluminum tray adjacent to the grill and foil cover the tray when you add burgers to them. They’ll all stay warm so you can serve them at the same time.

Keep the burgers the same weight. I like a 2 to 3 oz smashie. They cook quickly so you can produce them fast enough.

Depending how your guests eat, budget 6 oz pre cook weight per person. Once you add toppings, each burger become fuller and more hefty.

I made smash burgers for dinner yesterday. I have a huge griddle for a Camp Chef 4-burner stove but yesterday I used the Weber half griddle for the Q 3200 for us six family members.

Probably because I'm not an expert chef I can only run six patties simultaneously accounting for all of the quick action that needs to happen from the smash, to seasoning, a dollop of mayo/mustard mix (my first time adding that during the cook), flipping, adding cheese, and the double stack.

Like Chuck, I asked folks to eat while they came off the grill and they obliged. I was able to take my first bite while some others were still eating their burger. Then after I finished mine I made another batch. I love seeing a little bit of the juices oozing onto the condiments fresh off the grill.

And I forgot to toast the buns on the second round, lol.

Enjoy!

I only do 3 max on my 36” Blackstone. If I do any more then the 1st one will burn before I finish smashing the last one. I would imagine you run out of space really quick on the smaller griddle.

Maybe mine are way too big but I wouldn’t think I could fit more than 3-4 on a half griddle.

Here’s a pretty ingenious way of doing a bunch of sliders at once

I notice the guy is eating cheese burgers with a ton of cheese on them and then puts expensive no sugar ketchup on them.

Kinda like ordering a big Mac and fries and McDonalds and then asking for a diet coke.

Probably because I'm not an expert chef I can only run six patties simultaneously accounting for all of the quick action that needs to happen from the smash, to seasoning, a dollop of mayo/mustard mix (my first time adding that during the cook), flipping, adding cheese, and the double stack.
Correction: I did four patties at once, not six.

Funny that you linked that post. My oldest son and his GF made us all (her parents and my wife, daughter and me) these grilled sliders last night.

First time I had them on a gasser. Personally, charcoal is much better.

If anyone is thinking how to easily flip the large patty, I’d recommend cutting the patty in half before grilling it. Then assemble to two patties side by side in the buns. This half method will make managing the beef easier for anyone uncomfortable dealing with a very large patty.

Back