Small Pork Butt....Long Cook

Jim McKelvey

TVWBB All-Star
Howdy folks...We're having a party later this summer where pulled pork will be the feature - so I've got to "practice", right??
As it turns out, Friday evening / Saturday morning were looking slow, so decided to do a 6lb butt.

Here is butt seasoned with Chris A's Mustard and rub recipe.
[IMG:left]
IMG_1902.jpg
[/IMG]

I use Stubb's for over-nighters. A word about that later. Butt went on at midnight. Just me, the WSM, a beer and about a million tree frogs and crickets waiting for temp to come up and stabilize.
IMG_1903.jpg
[/IMG]

Got a few hours shut eye and checked in around 7AM.
IMG_1906.jpg
[/IMG]

After a long stall...she came off at 2PM - 14 hours. It was a a decidedly slow cook - as I maintained 225-250 throughout andthe butt was frozen at the outset. But the results were great.
IMG_1910.jpg
[/IMG]

About the Stubbs. 1 full ring, 20 lit briqs and 14 hours with no refueling. After the cook, I had a thin layer of what I'd call "half briqs" left in the WSM. I opened the door and figured I'd just burn it off and empty the ash later. Within 10 minutes, the temp on my lid based probe was 450+. I just think that is amazing...could have cooked a steak after 14 hours of low and slow.

Plated with red potatoes seasoned with weber kick'n chicken and corn on cob...
IMG_1913.jpg
[/IMG]

A little South Carolina seedlesswatermelon for after dinner
IMG_1907.jpg
[/IMG]

Hot day in NC, the robins enjoyed the sprinklers
IMG_1908.jpg
[/IMG]

That's all folks - have a great weekend, wish I could send out some pork sandwiches to y'all!

Jim

Terrific looking pulled pork and sides Jim!
Sounds like you had fun and some great eats, can't beat that!

Back