Slow n Sear Question

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
I have a Tri Tip that is in the frig getting a salt brine on it right now.
IMG_20211031_215712953.jpg

I have my new Slow n Sear Deluxe that I want to take for it's first run doing a reverse sear on this beauty.
My question is, can I do both (low and) slow and sear during the same cook? If yes, what is the best way to use the Slow n Sear to do low and slow at first and then what is the best way to crank up the temp to finish with a sear?

I have a Tri Tip that is in the frig getting a salt brine on it right now.

I have my new Slow n Sear Deluxe that I want to take for it's first run doing a reverse sear on this beauty.
My question is, can I do both (low and) slow and sear during the same cook? If yes, what is the best way to use the Slow n Sear to do low and slow at first and then what is the best way to crank up the temp to finish with a sear?
Or, if you have enough charcoal, just open the vents with the lid cracked and let it get up in temp. If I’m in a hurry I use the (old) hairdryer.

I know a reverse sear is probably more popular on these forums. But, I still do a front sear on ice cold meat, throw it into the freezer while I reconfigure the fire to low/slow smoke, then smoke it to the desired temp using the lowest pit temp I can manage and still get good smoke. Usually starting with a pit temp around 180F and gradually increasing to around 240 ish after a couple hours of smoke, due to the wood chunks carbonizing into charcoal and increasing the heat.

I use this technique in the video, this works best for a lot of different cuts of beef.

Thanks guys, here was my attempt.

I like Jabin Postal,
I use about the same method and am very pleased with the outcome.
I do the dry brine over night then a teriyaki marinade for the cook day.
It took me a bit to learn how juggle the chimney at first but I now just use an extra bbq.
At 120 I sear the the snot out of the tri tip while adding a bit of melted seasoned butter.
After the rest I serve at about 130.

His bacon recipe is good too.

Back