Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Slow-Cooker Beef Brisket with Beer

1 (3 lb.) beef brisket, trimmed
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
cooking spray
1/4 cup water
2 cups vertically sliced onion (about 1 large)
1 1/2 cup chopped parsnip (about 2)
1 TB. balsamic vinegar
1 bay leaf
1 (12 oz.) bottle light beer

1. Rub brisket with salt and pepper. Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add brisket to pan; cook 10 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove the brisket from the pan. Add 1/4 cup water to pan, stirring to loosen browned bits. Add onion and parsnip; saute 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
2. Place onion mixture, vinegar, bay leaf and beer in a large electric slow cooker. Place brisket on top of onion mixture. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Discard bay leaf. Cut brisket diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve with sauce.

Source: Cooking Light mag. Jan. 2007

I first made this back on 6-16-10. It received a "Good" rating from both of us. Then on 6-17-2021, I posted it here and asked for help to make it better. Never heard from anyone. Now, DH wants to make this tomorrow, so I am asking for help again.

I've done it on the WSM with Guinness.
Light beer is just like water. Use a dark.
Sear it on the grill or smoke it a few hours then follow your indoor recipe.

I've done it on the WSM with Guinness.
Light beer is just like water. Use a dark.
Sear it on the grill or smoke it a few hours then follow your indoor recipe.
You have to be careful when using dark, it can hog all your tastebuds. :rolleyes:

This is a pot roast style brisket. The ingredients and process are similar to an oven baked brisket. I’ve cooked these many times.

You can use a flat or mid section. IMO you can use the point but make this a day ahead and fridge it so you can skim the fat off. A point is very rich and will put off a lot of liquefied fat once done.

Braised brisket in the oven, dutch oven or slow cooker is what your Jewish Grandma makes for Passover using just the flat. Tons of different recipes that people try using onions, onion soup mix, tomatoes, ketchup, coca cola, wine, beef broth, etc. etc.

Aaron Franklin smokes the whole packer brisket in a smoker.

I like them both a lot. I tend to make slow cooker flat-only brisket in the winter time and smoked flat/point brisket in the summer.

Braised brisket in the oven, dutch oven or slow cooker is what your Jewish Grandma makes for Passover using just the flat. Tons of different recipes that people try using onions, onion soup mix, tomatoes, ketchup, coca cola, wine, beef broth, etc. etc.

Aaron Franklin smokes the whole packer brisket in a smoker.

I like them both a lot. I tend to make slow cooker flat-only brisket in the winter time and smoked flat/point brisket in the summer.
Bubble always used the onion soup mix. Gross.

Back when I first started grilling and trying to figure out how to BBQ I used the Weber Big Book of Grilling as my bible.
I did a beer bathed brisket several times.
IMG_8403.jpeg

Back