Slow braised red cabbage

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
I love serving this with ribs (sliced) on a cold night...it's really good. Kind of sweet, kind of sour, and it has a great color.

Slow Briased Red Cabbage

1 medium head red cabbage, cored and sliced so as to give rough 1/2 and 1/4 inch slices
1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 med. Onion, sliced
2 t. kosher salt
Scant 1/4 t. cinnamon
1/8 t. ground cloves
3 T. cider vinegar
2 T. Brown sugar
2.5 T. Butter, cut into chunks

Preheat oven to 350.

Place all indredients except the butter into a 4 or 5 quart dutch oven (I use one of the enamled ones). Toss well, place the butter on top, and cover tightly. Place in the oven for 3 hours. Remove and serve. It will have simmered down into an awesome purple color and the apples will be completely gone. It is delicious...kind of like sauerkraut but sweeter. I was thinking of adding caraway seeds as well, but haven't yet.

Phil, this sounds right up my alley. I love red cabbage. I've never done it in the oven -- more convenient than in the skillet, saves a burner on the stove, and it can be prepared well before last-minute dinner dishes. I'll have to try this very soon.

Thanks for posting this one!
Rita

I'm not here to rain on anyones parade, but my Mom is 100% German and even though I hate Red Cabbage I feel I must post in on this. I have watched my Mom make this so many times over the years and for a true German Red Cabbage dish some things are missing from this recipe and others need not be there. I can tell you this, Mom would never make this with butter, only Goose fat, and I think white wine was also in there. As far as I know she never put cin or cloves in there, but I could be wrong. Mom always made this on Christmas Eve in a pot, along with Rouladin <sp?, and would warm up on Christams Day. I'll give her a call and get the recipe if anybody is interrested.
icon_biggrin.gif
P.S she makes a kick *** hazel nut roll, that would knock your socks off.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
I'll give her a call and get the recipe if anybody is interrested.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Now Bryan ~ You KNOW you don't have to ask if anyone's interested!
icon_wink.gif

Bill

Bryan, cloves and cinnamon are probably a regional addition to red cabbage, unless a little creativity crept into the recipe, depending on the writer's taste buds. How many of us can cook a recipe as written, huh? Not me.

My mother came from the southern part of Germany and she did use a clove or two in her red cabbage. Not much, kinda subtle, and I like it that way most likely because that's the way I grew up with it. I recall that she cooked a goose or two before they became too scarce to be bought locally. We didn't do mail-order, if it was even available in those days.

Of course we're interested in how your Mom makes her red cabbage! I love recipes with family history. They bring people and cultures alive.

Now, abut that hazelnut roll.....??? Was it a yeast recipe?

Rita

Rita, It might have cin and cloves in there. I never paid too much attention to the Red Cabbage since I do not like it. I know though Mom wouldn't make it without Goose fat, that I'm sure of.
Nut Roll, is a no yeast dough. I have that recipe somewhere, I'll dig it up since some have been asking for it also. I called Mom & Pop today and she said she would write down the rcipes for me and send them my way.
icon_wink.gif

Bryan, your Mom should be proud that you mentioned her recipes on a world (universe?)-wide forum! I'm looking forward to see what she'll send. I know it will be wonderful.

Thanks for asking her for us,
Rita

Brian et al,

I'm sure the addition of butter is not traditional at all. It was actually my addition. I thought it would be, I don't know...more substantial with a fat of some type. And unfortunately, goose fat is in short supply around here.
icon_biggrin.gif
(I hear it's great for sauteing potatoes, though!).
Another idea I had was to add radichio (sp?) to it. I thought it might change the texture a bit, a few cruchy pieces here and a few softer pieces there. Haven't tried it yet, though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil R.:
Brian et al,

I'm sure the addition of butter is not traditional at all. It was actually my addition. I thought it would be, I don't know...more substantial with a fat of some type. And unfortunately, goose fat is in short supply around here.
icon_biggrin.gif
(I hear it's great for sauteing potatoes, though!).
Another idea I had was to add radichio (sp?) to it. I thought it might change the texture a bit, a few cruchy pieces here and a few softer pieces there. Haven't tried it yet, though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Phil, I'm sorry, I did not mean to bust on you. I was just trying to pass along Mom's recipe from what I remember, but that was a very long time ago. She said she will send it to me, and I'll post it when I get it. No dissrespect intended to you at all. I do love green cabbage though, fried in mass amounts of real butter, bacon, onions, salt and pepper.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Originally posted by Phil R.:
Phil, I'm sorry, I did not mean to bust on you. I was just trying to pass along Mom's recipe from what I remember, but that was a very long time ago. She said she will send it to me, and I'll post it when I get it. No dissrespect intended to you at all. I do love green cabbage though, fried in mass amounts of real butter, bacon, onions, salt and pepper.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryan,

No offense taken at all man! I got the recipe from a Rick Stein TV show. To be honest, I thought it was something he made up himself...I had no idea it was an established recipe. Post your mom's recipe, I'd love to try it!

Back