Slide Aside Lid Holder

Originally posted by Shaun R:
I always remove them when I shut the grill down, otherwise my coals will be ash the next day. I love the slide aside though.

Thanks for the tip, Shaun. I do the same with the tool holder, as well.

Well, they came in yesterday, and I think they'll do just fine. I don't know if I'll bend one for the wsm, or just use both on my kettles.

I'm wondering if the cover I bought for my OTG with the side work table accessory will fit with the Slide-aside mounted or not. Hopefully, the table will come in this afternoon.

Thankfully, the cover fits just fine over everything, and the work table is well thought out and the perfect size.

The way the table positions with the kettle handle, it's really easy to roll the kettle into position while you lift the leg end of the table off the ground with the other hand. The only issue I can see at all is the potential wasted charcoal at the end of a cook if I fail to remove either accessory, but I suspect this a minor inconvenience, everything considered.

Originally posted by Dave Russell:
..The way the table positions with the kettle handle, it's really easy to roll the kettle into position while you lift the leg end of the table off the ground with the other hand...

WRONG, only one hand needed to move the kettle w/ the table attached.

I only had about five minutes with it yesterday evening, so sorry about the erroneous info there. I'm smoking a brisket today, and the winds a lot higher than forcasted originally, so I just moved my covered OTG over by my wsm to provide a bit of a wind break since my plastic drum warped. Anyway, only one hand is needed to move the kettle with table attached, just like if it wasn't there, only that your palm must be turned toward the legs, not the bowl. I really like this set-up.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks, guys to all that suggested trying the Slide-Aside. I grilled a couple of catfish fillets over some lump for lunch today, and by the time that I was done eating, the kettle was only just warm and the fire was definately out. Evidently, as long as your tabs that hang both the Slide-Aside and the work table fit nice and flat, there's not enough of an air gap to make a difference. I grilled the catfish over a hot bed (one chimney) of RO lump spread on half of the grate.

As a side note, these were probably the best grilled catfish I've done, (except that I didn't top with toasted pecan.) I used Canola on one, and EVO as usual on the other and didn't notice much a difference, although I went a lot lighter with the oil than usual. I don't know if it was the lump, or that I was careful to only use just a tad of oil on the fillets, but they definately had a better flavor than usual. I love the Weber New Orleans seasoning since you can really pour it on for more heat without it getting too salty.

Unless you're holding out for a Performer, I'd definately suggest getting the Slide-Aside, the Work Table, and the cover that fit over all quite nicely...especially if you're lucky enough to score a OTG off craigslist for $50.
icon_wink.gif

Just received a couple of slide asides and it fits great on my 22.5" but it doesn't really sit well on my 18.5". Anyone else have and issue with this on their smaller kettle?

Where did you guys end up buying them at? How much? Any extra info would help. I could use one more.

Thanks Mike, I will be ordering one. Man, with shipping at $7 they get expensive fast. I bought my last one at BBQ's galore a few years ago for $16 in stock.

Originally posted by Mike Purnell:
Just received a couple of slide asides and it fits great on my 22.5" but it doesn't really sit well on my 18.5". Anyone else have and issue with this on their smaller kettle?
Just do a little tweaking to it. I bent mine to hold the lid on my WSM.
DSCN2910.JPG

Back