slicing buckboard bacon

Todd D.

TVWBB Super Fan
I have my second batch of buckboard bacon starting to cure and have a couple of questions. After smoking, should it be sliced with or across the grain? I sliced across the grain last time, and it seemed a bit chewy. I sliced using a 14" granton slicer, and am now considering purchasing a meat slicer. If anyone has a recommendation on an inexpensive slicer, please let me know.
Thanks!

I slice mine across the grain. Look on Ebay for one you'll need to be patient. I picked up mine there for $150.00. Needed a really good cleaning and some new sharpening stones but works great now. It's a Globe Model #300 made in 1955 with 1/3 rd hp motor. I also used it to slice my cabbage for kraut what a time saver.
icon_smile.gif

Slicer004.jpg
BackBacon008.jpg

I picked up from ebay a couple of years ago a general slicer 9" for 150 too. I just got done making some but I used the 4 smaller loins costco sells. I mistakenly cured it for 12 days. Came out too salty. Saved it by soaking it in water after slicing (5 minutes). Tastes good now. But need to make some ajustments for next time
icon_smile.gif

Back