Skyline With A Chipped Hood Lip

Dave in KC

TVWBB Wizard
iu4dHe3h.jpg

Does that pretty much kill the value of that grill?

Hey boss, are you positive that is a chip? It looks like it could simply be carbon buildup which is common on the outside of the lid edge.

Agreed. A single edge razor blade would be your best exploratory tool. What might look like rust/rot/chip could be easily AND GENTLY scraped off by a sharp blade. Or not. But at least you'd know before you buy.

You gotta really abuse that hood to chip it. As for "value" as has been discussed the value of a Skyline is pretty much with someone who has to have one. But, that being said any defect in the hood Skyline or not will very adversely affect the value of the grill as a flip. If you're doing it as a flip you'd be better off with a good undamaged hood that's plain than a damaged hood that's a Skyline

Dave, that is probably a bit far for you, but I would still question if the owner really knows for sure if it is rust. Where in Iowa? Do you have a link to the add?

I suppose he could have damaged the hood lip on that area, but I just have never seen a hood rust like that.

Last edited:
Probably so, but I still have a little doubt. The picture isn't that good. If it was a short drive, it would be worth a check, but I wouldn't drive too far. Hard to give up on a fairly rare find like that.

Back