Skirt steak

dsitterson

TVWBB Super Fan
I made some of the best fajitas I ever had last night. Used this recipie posted by Henry Joe Peterson. It rocked. Wife thought they where the best too.

finely chopped garlic
-finely chopped onion
-finely serrano or jalapeno pepper (optional)
- chopped cilantro
-salt
- black pepper
-chili powder
-cumin
-beer or tequila and lime.

Used skirt steak anybody ever used london broil. Skirt steak has gotten kind of pricey at 7.99 a lb at Publix

A simple marinade I use for skirt steak and flank steak is equal parts Dales and Italian Dressing. Extremely simple and very tasty.

Matt,
If London broil is a method, what type cut is it? I have never cooked it. The Ex used to marinate it and cook it in the oven somehow (maybe broiled it?). I don't miss that woman or her cooking.

Skirt steak is on of those cuts that seem to be better grilled. It does not seem to respond well to low and slow. Several marinades work well with skirt steak. About the London Broil not being a cut, but a cooking style, lets just say that rule is not written in stone. There is a butcher shop in our area that marinates Tri-Tips and sells it as London Broil. It is very good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">About the London Broil not being a cut, but a cooking style, lets just say that rule is not written in stone. There is a butcher shop in our area that marinates Tri-Tips and sells it as London Broil. It is very good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's still Tri-Tip, no such thing as a London Broil cut from a cow.

London Broil was traditionally done with flank steak, due to the higher cost butchers started labeling other ideal cuts that can be prepared London Broil style as London Broil.

Some good reading here - http://www.ochef.com/267.htm

Sorry..Guess what I meant to say has any one use another meat that had the same flavor as a skirt steak or flank steak. I saw the london broil at the market and assumed it was kinda of a top round cut. I know they need a little attention to get them tender and thought they may come close to a skirt or flank.

I cook mine over high heat. 3 minutes on the first side and 2 on the second and let rest for about 10 minutes. That is about as long as I can stand smelling it before it's dinner time.

Found the skirt at another grocer for 6.49 a pound. Not to bad when you can feed them family with 10 bucks worth of steak plus fixins.

I have tried flank steak but think the skirt steak has a little more flavor. It seems to have a little more fat in it compared to the flank steak. I think I stick with it for a while the family loves it and it is a quick cook.

I guess if I find them on sale I can freeze a couple.

Seems like most grocers only have one or two on display or you have to ask them to cut it for you.

No problem, just letting you know that if you buy a piece marked London Broil, it could be a few different cuts.

I put two skirt steaks on the WSM over the weekend as an experiment. Rubbed w/salt, pepper, granulated onion & garlic, turbinado sugar, paprika, cumin, oregano, sage, thyme, rosemary, & pasilla chile powder. I rolled & tied them pretty snug and put them in the WSM at about 280. After about 90 minutes I pulled them off to find them beautifully pink, moist & juicy.

They showed a nice, though thin, smoke ring (I smoked over hickory & apple this weekend) and were nicely flavored throughout. I found them a hair tougher than I would've preferred.

I don't think skirt has enough intramuscular collagen to convert to sufficient gelatin to make for super-tender barbecue like brisket. It seems like it'd be awfully easy to turn it to just a horribly overcooked mess.

I'm thinking of trying it again, smoking more heavily for a shorter time and pulling the skirt at 120 - 125 internal temp, and then sort of flash-searing right over the coals (either slapping the grill on the WSM's charcoal bowl or just holding the skirts with tongs right over the coals) to put just a bit of char on, and then resting before serving sliced.

Don't know if it'll be all that great, but it'll at least be a tasty experiment.

Out here in Sandy Eggo you can go to the little Mexican markets (tienditas or carnecerias) and get a couple of different meats for carne asada, the best is the skirt steak one that in the market is called Ranchera. Very tasty, they will marinate it for you, let them its delicious, I think one of the main ingredients in the marinade is orange juice to tenderize, and it usually only runs about 3.99

Out here in Sandy Eggo you can go to the little Mexican markets (tienditas or carnecerias) and get a couple of different meats for carne asada, the best is the skirt steak one that in the market is called Ranchera. Very tasty, they will marinate it for you, let them its delicious, I think one of the main ingredients in the marinade is orange juice to tenderize, and it usually only runs about 3.99
there are a few of those places around Sunny A-go like Sante Fe Meat in Chula Vista among many others but the marinated price is much higher than just the meat...I get the Costco skirt and found a recipe here that works good. I does involve a cheap beer like tecate or a no-name lager in addtion to the orange juice etc.

I'm going to try some low and slow then sear approach on mine today.

Back