Skirt Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Barineau

TVWBB Super Fan
I've searched on "skirt" and other than fajitas, have found no real definitive use for skirt from spare ribs. Sure hate to pitch them--anyone have a good recipe? Maybe smoke them to use in Brunswick Stew or grill them on kettle??

Tom

I just rub it, throw it on the smoker with the ribs, and snack on it during the cook. Maybe you could cook it and chop it up for seasoning meat in a pot of beans, or somesuch. The "skirt" referred to in the fajita recipes is beef skirt steak.

I season them with the rib rub and just put them on the top grate beside the rib rack. Ususally take off after about 1 1/2 hour and really taste delicious. Never thought about using them for seasoning - don't last that long. Absolutely don't pitch them - way too good.

Thanks for the help, fellows. Will definitely not pitch them.

Couple of other questions for you--and no, I haven't searched this site:

1. Beef short ribs--found some today at Walmart that were reasonable and got them. How do yall cook'em.

2. Found my first lump charcoal today, again at Walmart. Seems that I remember reading that it burns hotter. Got a quick rule of thumb? I have been using Kingsford since I got my WSM, both in the WSM and my kettle.

Tom

I havent done any beef short ribs yet (although I am doing some for memorial day for a cousin who doesn't eat pork). Let us know how they turn out.

Regarding lump charcoal, I've used it since my second cook with my WSM. Some obsevations I've come up with. First if you're using the "Real Flavor" lump that they sell at the wal-marts here you should be fine, the size of the pieces is pretty good (not too many small chips). If you do find that you have a lot of rather small peices by all means you should use the suggestions offered elsewhere on this site about placing either a piece of expanded metal or a second charcoal grate turned 90* from the first so that the small chips aren't falling through the cracks. I've been using the Royal Oak lump charcoal with good success. Temp controlhas not been a problem for me. Lump seems to be quite a bit more sensitive to small changes in vent settings than briqs. This can be a double edged sword. Its easy for the temp to spike when the vents are open too far but its also easy to bring temps under control by shutting the vents down. Just relax and dont try to micromanage temps. I've gotten good burn times with a full ring of lump (14+ hours @ 225*) As in all things Q-ing experience is the best teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back