SJG vs SJS for camping.

Jason Noble

TVWBB All-Star
I am having a tough time choosing between the gold or silver for a camping, picnic grill I like the Smokey joe grills but would be willing to buy the go-anywhere charcoal. What would you pick? Thanks.

I first got the SJS and got annoyed with bungie cords needed to keep it together. Got the SJG and am happy with that. Got a gga also, but it never seems to get hot enough; fine for hot dogs, but not much else. Also use the SJG as a fire pit for my camp Dutch oven.

Thanks for the reply Paul. I like the idea of a locking lid. Also the dutch oven tip is something I had not considered.

I've personally never had any problems with the bungee cord solution on my SJS. As long as you get it cinched down pretty tight, it's not going anywhere. Plus, you get the bottom vent, which means there's much more heat if it's needed.

Stan

I have a SJS that I use for camping, and store both grates in the upside down lid, with the lid (handle down) in the bowl.
Then sit it in a large heavy duty trash bag, twist tie closed, and go.
There's even room for some charcoal, lighter cubes, and my tin can chimney.

Stan, the three bungee system works. It trying to find the darn things while tearing down camp and managing a couple of small kids that make it hard. I know,it's not everyone's problem. The lid lock on SJG is just there; that's just a thing of beauty.

Back