Sirloin Tip Roast

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I decided to try some Sirloin Tip Roast this weekend because it was on sale at Costco. I had a 7lb roast. I cut it in half and rubbed each of them with mustard and a rub I found in Barbeque Secrets book. I used the minion short method with New Kingsford. I also used 3 Hickory chunks for the smoke.

I was not exactly patient this day since I put the meat on at 9:30am with an internal temp of 140 F. I covered everything and the internal temp got to 200 F at 10:00am. My plan was to spray it with Apple Juice at 11:30am (My planned halfway point...) Temp for duration held at 230 F internal.

At 11:30am my wife helped me check it out and the color was beautiful and the internal temp of the roasts was 145 F. I sprayed them both with Apple Juice and covered for 10 more minutes. Then removed and wrapped in Aluminum Foil so that we could eat at about 1pm.

I made a pineapple BBQ sauce from Steven Reichlin from this sight with a slight variation. Instead of Jalepenos, I used 1 whole Aji Amarillo chopped up with seeds and veins. It is a pepper from Peru that can be found in latin markets.

Smoke ring was beautiful and the meat although on the medium well side of things since I prefer medium or medium rare) was delicious. We made little mini sandwiches with baked beans.

I am happy with the results and learned some things. But was wondering if others seem to notice a super fast cooking time. I believe Jim Minion mentioned something along the lines of 1 hour per pound. I could be confused since this site has so much info. This is my second smoking session on my new WSM.

Tim

Tim
This cut is not a low and slow cut. I cook at 275 plus (leaving the roast whole) and take to an internal about 127 to 130 max. You are going to get bump in internal during the rest.

Sirloin Tips don't have the connective tissue like brisket and the protein toughens up once you take it over a medium finsh.
Jim

Jim, what temp range are you considering medium? I do a lot of bottom round roasts and 155 seems to do them ok. Are you saying maybe I need to look at pulling sooner?

So essentially this could have tasted a lot better if cooked shorter and at higher temps.

It was definately a little drier then I wanted.

Thank you for the quick replies.

I will try...try....try again.

Tim

I also did a 4.5 pound sirloin tip roast this weekend. I cooked it at 230-250 with the rub from the tri tip in the cooking section. Took 3 hours almost to the minute to come to 130 degrees.

Very moist meat and was tender when I finally figured out where the grain was (forgot to mark it). This is definitely a cut I will do again. I will do a couple of things different though. I'm gonna sear the outside either before or after and I think I will cook it at closer to 300. The low temps made this a very consistent medium rare all the way through, but I wouldn't have minded some more done stuff on the outside.

Back