Simple tri tip recipe??

ShawnW

TVWBB Member
Anyone have a simple tri tip recipe they want to share? I saw the tequila lime tri tip... not interested in that.

I have a 3 lb prime tri tip I got yesterday and would like to smoke it today some time.

Remove the tri from the fridge, say, now. Sprinkle with salt all over. Use an amount equivalent to what you would use were the meat already cooked and had been just served to you unsalted. Allow to rest on a plate on the counter a couple hours.

Make your rub of choice. I'd go with something like 1 T each granulated garlic, granulated onion and white or black pepper, 2 t each thyme, sage and a ground chile of your choice, 1 t marjoram, 1/4 t ground clove. When you get the cooker ready to go apply the rub over the salted meat's surface.

Smoke ~ 220-250? to an internal of ~ 120?. Either raise the temp of the cooker dramatically at that point or move the meat to direct heat. Sear, turning frequently to prevent scorching, to an internal of ~130-140, depending on your taste. Remove; rest, tented, 15 min; slice thinly against the grain and serve.

Kevin, is there a reason for the reverse sear? It seems like it would be easiest to sear first, stick a probe in and pull at the perfect temp. Would searing it first with the rub on alter the rub flavor, making it burnt/bitter? Sorry if these are trivial questions, I just cooked my first tri tip and am looking to improve (always).

Reverse sear further tenderizes the meat. There's a good active thread over in the grilling section on this subject right now. It's a valuable skill to learn, and the reason we haven't ordered a steak out in several years.

I'll let Kevin tackle the rub question, but I'd bet he doesn't include anything that burns in rubs that get direct high heat.

Back