Simple Spare Ribs & Beans

Brian Johnson

TVWBB Pro
This year for Smoke Day I had big plans... but laziness/business got the best of me and I ended up pulling 2 racks of spare ribs from the freezer for Memorial Day Dinner. Did a simple SPOG rub augmented with a little chili power, paprika, and a hot sauce binder.

SmokeDay-24_01.jpg

After a few hours on WSM 18", I added some doctored canned baked beans to the bottom rack to get a little smoke. To be honest, there were just a couple of cans of beans I had in the pantry and I just put them in a big CI pot and added some BBQ sauce, mustard, ketchup, sugar, molasses, leftover rub, maybe something else, I really don't know. I kinda just threw whatever I had on hand in the pot.

SmokeDay-24_02.jpg

After putting another check, I threw some store bought BBQ sauce, apple cider vinegar, leftover rub, Worcestershire sauce in a small sauce pan and brought it up to simmer to marry the flavors a bit and applied them to the ribs on the WSM. Unfortunately I waited a little too long and the ribs weren't exactly consistently sized (joy of getting 3-packs at Costco. . . I did a rib cook for company and pulled the best looking racks out of the 2 packs I bought for that cook) so there were some overcooked bits by the end of the cook.

SmokeDay-24_03.jpg

That said, after pulling everything off the smoker, throwing together some freezer veggies (another Costco buy) it was a very tasty and filling meal. Not bad at all for a bit of a lazy "let's see what we have lying around" type of cook.

SmokeDay-24_04.jpg

Looks good to me!

We're not pros, so if it went down well with those who ate it, it's a winner.

Aside from the (fully expected) complaints about the veggies and beans from my youngest everything went down well. And even with the complaints I think the kids ate at least half of the sides that were put on their plates. They have to at least try everything before getting more ribs, and everyone had seconds so yeah... definitely a winner.

Back