Simple smoked wings

Anthony N

TVWBB Member
A simple run of smoked wings. Salt and pepper.

2:15 later:

Sauced half of them with Stubbs Original barbecue sauce and put them on a hot grill for a couple of minutes a side.

Came out pretty good for the first time out. Consensus of the house was the sauced wings were better.

Great looking wings. Thanks for sharing. What temp did you cook them at? Also, would love to see more pics of your cart.

How crispy does the skin get?

We've used the Alton Brown method for years (steam, chill, bake at high temp), but I've never been satisfied with the skin.

DBWallis:

Are you doing your AB wings in an oven or on a grill? I have had very good luck with getting crispy skin by using AB's steam and chill, then grilling raised direct (that's Eggspeak for right over the coals but way above....similar to a WSM on the upper rack with water pan out).

DBWallis:

Are you doing your AB wings in an oven or on a grill? I have had very good luck with getting crispy skin by using AB's steam and chill, then grilling raised direct (that's Eggspeak for right over the coals but way above....similar to a WSM on the upper rack with water pan out).

Jeff,

We've always done them in the oven, since it seems like we mostly make them in the winter. Sounds like it would be worth trying them on the WSM!

How crispy does the skin get?

We've used the Alton Brown method for years (steam, chill, bake at high temp), but I've never been satisfied with the skin.

The skin wasn't crispy at all, but it wasn't chewy. I think the time on the hot grill helped with that.

Jeff,

We've always done them in the oven, since it seems like we mostly make them in the winter. Sounds like it would be worth trying them on the WSM!

Or crank that Genny up to about 500 and give that a go. I think the key to AB wings is thoroughly chilling and then cooking at a screaming heat -- direct or indirect. My best batch came off my Egg at 500 with the grid raised up into the dome.

Having watched a lot of video on wing cooking, I bought a big metal mixing bowl. I put the sauce in the bowl hot and throw the wings straight off the grid and into the sauce. If your skin is right and the sauce is good and hot they sizzle when the hit the sauce and suck it up like a sponge.

Back