Simple Silver B question.......I should know this.....but I dont

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
With a 3 burner Silver B I always start the grill with the number one closest to me burner and it always starts first click. I was doing a time to heat test yesterday because I still think my grill is a little slow to get to max temp. After 15 min it got to 500......which is good but it is off just slightly. I picked up the exact same grill yesterday as a flipper....it was dirty and a mess....I did a timed heat and the thing roared past 500 in about 10 min and only stopped at 600 because I know this grill isnt built to maintain such high temps for a long period. Mine will maybe get to 550 but it is struggling to get there...and no way will it keep climbing. YES YES I know we dont cook at these temps.....but 550 is what this grill is designed to hit. Note my grill has monster heavy steel rods vs the other flipper has the original cheapo curved stamped grates......more tests to come.

But now my question......after running my keeper up to 500 twice on 2 different tanks I went to shut her down.
Question number one......
1. What causes the sorta pop sound as u shut a hot burner down?
2. Can I start a Silver B 3 burner via the first knob but then turn on the second and the third then turn OFF the first burner? For some reason I thought it was imperative that the first burner stay running.

I only ask this question because my first burner was making disturbing whistling or high pitched noises and the other two were not. I did shut off number one to determine this is where the noise was coming from.....and number 2 kept burning no problem....so I assume it is ok to do this.

Sorry for the long ramble............

Keeper grill has Weber burners that are new......Weber bars that are new.......New aftermarket regulators are being tested as well as different tanks......She is on a fresh full tank right now that almost shot the flipper grill to the moon so it aint the tank :)

Hi Jim,

Once the burners are lit you can turn off any of them on a silver b.

The noises are most likely from metal expansion and contraction of the tubes combined with gas under pressure.
The tubes should have a little play in them.

When things get really hot and you shut gas flow off a small amount of residual may "pop" off the hot metal surfaces. Don't worry about it. Also don't be trying to think 2 grills will work exactly alike. There are tolerances between them, the thermometers are NOT an accurate indication of true temperature and there are differences in regulators as well that can cause minor irregularities. It's like trying to see who can pee higher or who's eh hem is bigger. It's meaningless

Thanks for the replies.......I like the fact that I can turn off any burner once started...very cool. As for the grill temps.......I obsess over some of the little details when I tinker.......keeps me off the streets!
In the end I might set up both of the Premium Silver B's with identical parts then fire them up......I can swap the therm and the reg to either grill......I can even swap the reg.....but I am determined to figure out why my premium B isnt screamin towards 550.......I am a horrible chef so just playing with the grills is better then anything else I can do with them.

Also, keep in mind the thermometers are just estimations of the heat level at the grates where the food is cooking. If you are obsessed about things like cooking temps, I suggest you consider a good remote thermometer that has a probe for the meat and one for the grates that measures both the internal meat temp real time and the temp at the grates. There can be a BIG difference between the grate level temps and the lid thermometer temps.

And a remote thermometer will also help you become a better chef. I overcook things far less since I got my Thermoworks Smoke and don’t know how I got along without it.

I did buy a thermopen mk4 which really helps this awful chef not destroy all of the food. I guess what I am saying about grill temps is this........I am now to the point where I have resto'd ehhhh about 30 to 40 grills. Several of them have been 3 burner Silver b's. My keeper grill is a 3 burner Silver B. Its just when you know all of the others have hit a certain temp by a certain time and one that happens to be your keeper grill is not performing to that level. Of all these grills my keeper should be the trophy performer. We have discussed this here before and I am still chasing the answer. The weather has finally warmed up where I live so I can now do thermometer swaps......grate swaps.....etc.....to see what is slowing my main squeeze down. I think its the grates...but could be the thermometer as well.

Jim, if you bought an MK4 you are on your way to not being an awful chef. And I am sure you are not that bad anyway. Although I would not be obsessed with not reaching the higher temperatures, we can all learn from your experiments and the results. Please keep us posted.

Yep the Mk4 is just like my GPS in my car...every time I doubt it or dont believe it I end up screwing up. It has really helped me a lot......and I really am an awful chef. I can handle hot dogs....burgers....basic chicken.....basic fish......but I have been known to over cook the crap out of some quality food and make my wife a bit angry.

MK4 is a lot better than my GPS. Mine usually finds the destination, but it sure as heck can't figure out the best way to get there.

Ha....well I drive like I cook.... ( blind ) so sometimes ignorance is bliss. Ya see u know the best way to get somewhere and use your GPS as a guide. I cant find my way out of a paper bag......so if the nice lady can get me there when she says she can....sign me up.

With a 3 burner Silver B I always start the grill with the number one closest to me burner and it always starts first click. I was doing a time to heat test yesterday because I still think my grill is a little slow to get to max temp. After 15 min it got to 500......which is good but it is off just slightly. I picked up the exact same grill yesterday as a flipper....it was dirty and a mess....I did a timed heat and the thing roared past 500 in about 10 min and only stopped at 600 because I know this grill isnt built to maintain such high temps for a long period. Mine will maybe get to 550 but it is struggling to get there...and no way will it keep climbing. YES YES I know we dont cook at these temps.....but 550 is what this grill is designed to hit. Note my grill has monster heavy steel rods vs the other flipper has the original cheapo curved stamped grates......more tests to come.

But now my question......after running my keeper up to 500 twice on 2 different tanks I went to shut her down.
Question number one......
1. What causes the sorta pop sound as u shut a hot burner down?
2. Can I start a Silver B 3 burner via the first knob but then turn on the second and the third then turn OFF the first burner? For some reason I thought it was imperative that the first burner stay running.

I only ask this question because my first burner was making disturbing whistling or high pitched noises and the other two were not. I did shut off number one to determine this is where the noise was coming from.....and number 2 kept burning no problem....so I assume it is ok to do this.

Sorry for the long ramble............

Keeper grill has Weber burners that are new......Weber bars that are new.......New aftermarket regulators are being tested as well as different tanks......She is on a fresh full tank right now that almost shot the flipper grill to the moon so it aint the tank :)
I'm also thinking that it takes longer for the keeper to get to temp is the thick grill grates are absorbing some of the heat before it gets to the lid. May want to swap grates and test again. But most likely the thermometer as G. suggested.

MK4 is a lot better than my GPS. Mine usually finds the destination, but it sure as heck can't figure out the best way to get there.
Why don't you just use google maps gave up on my gps in my Honda years ago use my iphone incredibly accurate in my experience.

Mainly because the Head unit in my truck has the GPS built in with a nice big screen and it interfaces well with my radio by lowering the radio volume when giving verbal directions. The screen is bigger than my Galaxy 8 as well. But, I have used both at times.

Back