Simple Quesadillas...

RichPB (richlife)

TVWBB Wizard
... or not.

Plate.jpg

Quesadillas are one of my favorite grill foods. I started by doing them directly on the grates with a light spray of EVOO, and grill direct. But you do risk losing some melted cheese or other ingredients into the grill with the consequent cleanup. So one time I decided to heat my 10" cast iron pan with the grill to 350* to 400* and have never gone back. Using either 10" tortillas or 8", just snug them up to the side of the hot pan. (And yes, the 10" can be tight just on their own, so pat them down with your spatula. Snug is good, crispy tortilla edges.) Check after a few minutes to get the nice, brown crust you prefer. Then I flip one over on the upper grate (or to the side to the grill), flip the other to the opposite side of the pan and add the waiting quesadilla in the vacate place.
Grill.jpg

Quesadillas can be as simple as a layer of your favorite cheese, or as complex as you like. The pan really helps if you "accidently" overstuff (not necessarily the best technique). In this case, I purposely left some the shredded Costco rotisserie chicken for later quesadillas, out of the barbeque chicken I had fixed earlier. Three types of cheese (shredded sharp cheddar, a little blue cheese for bright flavor highlights and a little super sharp English cheddar for some snap. You can puzzle out the other ingredients I added from the pic, but if you also want salsa in the quesadilla, it's best to use small, scattered "plops" to avoid a soggy result.
Build.jpg

Back