Simple Back Rib recepie

Brian_W

Hi - I have been looking in the forums here for a simple method to slow cook ribs on the WSM. I want to cook them low and slow, but don't want to do 3 stages or a lot of fany stuff. Any suggestions?

Apply your rub of choice, Minion the start so that you control temps on the way up, then cook till a probe inserted between the bones goes in like it's going into butter. Done.

Also, see here.

Welcome to the board.

Thanks Kevin and Jeff....

I am new to smoking and used a recepie from a book called "Low & Slow" by Gary Wiviott. He advocates using hardwood charcoal with all the vents fully open during cooking. He also tells beginners to use way too much charcoal for beginner recepies - the charcoal is actually touching the waterbowl. He also states that the spices put in rubs will mellow over the cooking process. So I followed the instructions to a "T" and my ribs turned out dry and way too spicy for my taste even using half the cayene pepper called for. I read the Minion method link and it is not to far off what I have been doing so I will use less fuel this time. I'll use the link you both sent and let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Dryness comes from overcooking, not higher cooktemps. (I cook ribs 325-350.) But higher temps makes for a rather narrow 'done window', the spot where tender in first achieved to the point where overcooking starts. Better to learn the ropes first, get comfortable with your cooker and your cooking, then modify if you choose.

The info at the above links is a good place to start. Post to the Barbecuing or New WSM Owners sections if you have questions about anything before you cook, questions during cooking, or questions after cooking or about your results. Have fun with it.

Back