Silver VS. Gold Airflow and flare ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig H

TVWBB Super Fan
I did the unthinkable this week. I removed the gold ash can on my 22.5 and put the disc back on. I wanted to see if there was any difference in airflow. I noticed that that with the one touch vent open (minus can) i have less flare ups. When I have it open with the Gold can, I have more flare ups. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it just me? I know that some on here prefer the traditional ash catcher/silver set up, I wanted to go back to it to try out. Yes I know it's messier and I have to dump the plate (every time) I CANT STAND leaving ash buildup that can bend the ash plate. I see this on neighboring OTS's all the time. We all know the advantages of the Gold. To the Silver fans, what do you see as the advantage of the traditional disc setup vs gold can? What are your experiences?

in my opinion, there were likely several other drastic variables in your experiment.

your data is tainted and your results should be thrown out.
icon_smile.gif

if anything, the gold probably gets LESS airflow - which would mean LESS flareups

I agree with Troy in that the gold should have fewer flare-ups, as flare-ups are partially the result of higher air in-drafts, and it's almost impossible for the Gold to let in more air than the Silver.

Because they use the exact same bowl and venting system, at best they're a tie. At worse the Silver would allow more air than the Gold due to there being no restricting material around the inlet dampers.

I have a Performer which is set up very similar to the Gold, except it has an extra opening in the bowl for the gas igniter. Got 14-15 hrs of continuous low temps on less than half a load of charcoal on Memorial Day. And have had VERY few flare-ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back