Silver Maple?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Anyone ever use silver maple as smoke wood? I have a large specimen in my front yard. I had never even thought about using it for smoking until a windstorm blew a branch off of it the other day. Then I thought, "Lifetime wood supply!" /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif I know maple is a recommended wood on the charts I've seen, but there are different varities of maple, some soft and some hard. Any thoughts?

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jrs:
[qb]I asked the same question recently. Here is the thread...[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks, but I had already read that thread, and there were no replies from anyone who had actually used silver maple.

Steve

I use silver maple, since there are 3 in my yard. I've smoked ribs, butts, and turkey breasts and the maple works fine for all of them. (Caveat: I have never tried oak, so I can't compare the maple to it.) My wood supply is getting low, but I suddenly noticed a large branch that really ought to be removed - it looks like it might fall onto the sidewalk (in another 20 years or so).

Larry, thanks for your reply. I guess my main concern was that silver maple is soft wood, and everyone says to use only hardwoods. But I'll try it and find out. You're still kickin', so I guess the smoke isn't toxic!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Steve

The soft woods to avoid are the resinous, coniferous types such as pine (unless you want turpentine ribs). While silver maple may not be as hard as other maple species, it isn't in that category by any means.

And yes, I am still kicking, but not nearly as high as I used to. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry Davis:
[qb]I am still kicking, but not nearly as high as I used to. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>BBQ will have that effect on a person! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back