Silver Gensesis B

Jason H

I have a Genesis grill the is about 6 years old. It came with the porcelain coated cast iron grates. I was grilling last night and noticed that the porcelain coating is pretty much gone and the cast iron grates are starting to rust. Some chunks of the grates actually fell off when I used my grill brush. My question is this: Do I need new grates, or can these be saved if I season them and keep my eye on them? Probably hard to say with out a picture, I know. I will try and get one.
Also the flavorizer bars are in pretty bad shape. Are stainless bars recomended, or is fine to replace them with new porcelain ones?
Burners look to be ok, but I did not pull anything apart to really look.
Anything else I should to do to this grill to get it top shape for another 6+ years of grilling?

Jason - Just my thoughts and I don't really have a lot of experience, but here you go: I think I would go for a new set of grates and flavorizer bars. I bought the PCI grates and stainless bars when I bought my second-hand Genesis and have been very happy with both. If the porcelain is flaking or chipping, I would worry about it coming off on my food.

As for the grates, I got mine aftermarket off of ebay. The seller markets stainless bars that are made of a heavier gauge steel than the factory bars. That may or may not make a difference, but I have been happy with them.

As long as your burners are in good shape, with the new grill grates and the new flavorizer bars, you would be set to go for another 6 years at least!

Pat

Jason,

My Weber gasser is 10 yrs old and I cook an avererage of twice a week on it.

I just replaced the bars 2 months ago along with some new burner tubes.

I think if you cook alot the fat keeps the bars in good shape, if you don't the SS bars may be the way to go.

As far as the grates, mine still look new!

You can reseason your chipped pci grates. Wipe the spots with crisco, heat the grill to 300. Bake for 3 hours. Turn it off and let it sit for another 3 hours. Seasoned cast iron...

Jason,

My 7 year old Genesis Sliver A came equipped with stainless flavorizer bars and grates and they are still doing quite well. My wife bought me the Weber cast iron grates for Christmas (which I love) or I'd still be using them. So I've packed my SS grates away in case I need them in the future. I would recommend the stainless flavorizer bars, the grates for me would be a personal cooking preference between either CI or SS.

David

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason H:
I have a Genesis grill the is about 6 years old. It came with the porcelain coated cast iron grates. I was grilling last night and noticed that the porcelain coating is pretty much gone and the cast iron grates are starting to rust. Do I need new grates, or can these be saved if I season them and keep my eye on them? Probably hard to say with out a picture, I know. I will try and get one.
Also the flavorizer bars are in pretty bad shape. Are stainless bars recomended, or is fine to replace them with new porcelain ones?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd invest in new porcelein coated cast iron grates. I just saw them at Home Depot for about $60. I think it's very hard to keep plain non coated cast iron grates seasoned and rust free. I'd also avoid stainess steel. SS is a poor conductor of heat. The biggest problem with conventional gas grills is that the flame heat is not hot enough to char. You need the heat conductiveness of cast iron to sear at all. This is not true with charcoal, which radiates infrared heat at a much higher temperature.

I've been using my Silver Genesis B[what a great name - I wonder who came with that] for at least 8 years. When is Weber going to give us an infrared grill at a decent price?

I just replaced my porcelain bars with stainless steel ones this past summer. I personally haven't noticed any difference in the grilling and after just one use they look the same as my porcelain ones did too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kent:
When is Weber going to give us an infrared grill at a decent price? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
When this occurs will be day I purchase a new grill.

Guys, I'm in need of the same stuff. Found a few guys on ebay selling aftermarket flavorizer bars that are cheaper - and a no-brainer to me. Haven't had the same luck with the stainless tubular grill grates. Anyone have a seller id I can track down?

Thx.

That guy that sells SS flavorizer bars on ebay is making SS cooking grate for certain models. Genesis Silver B is one of them.

Thanks, Justin.

I did find those grates from him - but I also found the stainless tubular grates that are being sold by the GrillFloss guy. They look nice and are sure a heck of a lot cheaper. Any insight on those or the GrillFloss product?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">GrillFloss </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you post a link to the product you've found? The one's I see on the website wouldn't fit our grills.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Justin W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">GrillFloss </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you post a link to the product you've found? The one's I see on the website wouldn't fit our grills. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had the same question - here's the answer I got from GrillFloss. Based on this I think I'll order them:

Hi Bill,

The replacement grates are for Weber Geneses B grills. They will fit for sure. There are two grates that sit next to each other to make the entire grilling surface.

Thanks,
--
Mike P.
Grillfloss - Mpact Products
phone:
fax:
www.grillfloss.com

I don't know if there will be a difference in the heat distribution, but if not I really like the idea of totally round grates. I think they would be far easier to keep clean (both manually and simply running off by heat) and may even add to the life of the grates.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike McGlinn:
I don't know if there will be a difference in the heat distribution, but if not I really like the idea of totally round grates. I think they would be far easier to keep clean (both manually and simply running off by heat) and may even add to the life of the grates. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After cooking a couple of meals on my Performer with the tubular grates, I have to say that I see ZERO difference. No compromise in cooking or taste, much easier to clean. Of course when I've got 500*+ of heat going, the grates probably just get in the way.

Back