Silver C

Joel Isen

Newer member here in Canada. Followed closely for a month or so before I began my first restore a couple of weeks ago, a 2000 Gen Silver B, and it came out great. This is a pretty phenomenal web site with so much info. I can now understand how this new hobby can become addictive (almost like my bass fishing). Such a gratifying feeling when it was done. And being a senior, I really appreciate the older stuff that I think was built like a tank. I went ahead and picked up a Silver C yesterday because I thought I would now get one with a side burner. Pretty rough shape and I don't know if I will be able to get the side burner to function again. If not, I will just close it off. Couple of questions.

1) The valve for the side burner is seized. I serviced the valves according to the video here on my first restore, but they were not seized, just sticky. How do I go about freeing this seized one up?
2) If I have to close off the hose for the side burner, can I just use regular brass plumbing fittings that are used for plumbing, and then pipe dope?

Here is a pic of the Silver B that was my first restore.

weber.jpg

Attachments

• weber.jpg
    weber.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 3
Nice job on the Silver B. Looks great.

If the valve is seized up for the side burner, did you try to service that in the same way as the other valves? If you open it up, you should be able to free it up or find out what is wrong with it.

If it is trashed and you don't want to try to replace it, you can just remove the tap for it in the manifold and install a 1/8" NPT male plug in the hole. Then remove the side burner and find a thermoset side shelf to replace it with.

Bruce, thanks for that reply. I have not opened the valve yet to take a look. I thought I would do some woodwork for a shelf if the side burner is trashed.

Joel, welcome, and nice job on that "B"! I had good luck freeing a seized valve by taking it apart, and then soaking in solvent (brake cleaner) for a while. After that, I was able to get the innards freed up for proper cleaning and lube.) If you can't even get the two side screws out, then just chuck the whole thing in solvent for a while and see if that gets things moving.

I like the wood shelf idea if you ditch the side burner!

R

Thanks for the welcome gentlemen.

Some beautiful B's above. This C that I just picked up is a lot rougher than my B, but didn't pay very much for it. When I got it home, I thought that I would be able to clean the lid up like on the B to nearly new condition, but, it looks like sun damage. White spots everywhere on a black hood that cannot be removed. I assume this is sun damage. I have already sourced spare parts, including another hood, nearby, which I will pick up tonight. Rich, I will try the solvent soak trick for the valve. Brake cleaner is what I used on the the valves that I serviced on the other machine, but, they were able to be disassembled before cleaning because they were not seized.

Yah, we call that problem with the black lids "Weber Fade". It seems to only happen to the black ones. It is unclear if it sun exposure or something else that causes it. You will find it in varying degrees on most control panels as well.

Yes Bruce, it was on the control panel as well. But I really lucked out tonight. When I went to pick up the better hood, which is in great shape, he also gave me a control panel that was not faded and side burner (that should be working). Was only forty five minutes away and cost next to nothing. Should be a great project. And like my wife said tonight, refurbing these grills will be something that I can do during the winter instead of dreaming about bass fishing :)

Joel, I hope you have a heated work shop. I have to pretty much shut down my grill rehabbing by the end of October. Not a lot of people looking for grills from then until about April anyway.

Joel, I had a valve with rusted up screws that I sprayed daily with PB Blaster for a week before I got the screws to let go. I was really scared to strip the heads. If you have the time and patience they should come loose. My valve wasn’t seized though so it cleaned up easily once I got the screws out.

Back