Silver B or Genesis 1000 weight

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Does anyone know a ball park weight for the Standard Silver B or 1000 grill?

It all depends if you weigh it with all the guts inside and what type of grates you have. The enameled cast iron grates are pretty heavy.
I would grab a bathroom scale and put both ends on it one at a time and just add up the weight from both sides. That won't be 100% accurate but close enough.

Good points Stephan. If it has CI grates, that is probably 15 to 20 lbs over the stamped steel ones.

Reason I am asking is that I have a customer that is asking if he would be able to pick up one of my grills with a hitch carrier. I wanted to be able to give me an approx weight so he could tell if the carrier would handle it. If he did that, I would probably suggest he put the flavo bars, grates and lid in side the vehicle. That would likely bring the weight on the hitch carrier down comfortably under 100. I think most of them can handle way more than that anyway.

"It all depends if you weigh it with all the guts inside and what type of grates you have"

I didn't think about that. I take all that out before lifting them. It makes a difference.

Good points Stephan. If it has CI grates, that is probably 15 to 20 lbs over the stamped steel ones.

Reason I am asking is that I have a customer that is asking if he would be able to pick up one of my grills with a hitch carrier. I wanted to be able to give me an approx weight so he could tell if the carrier would handle it. If he did that, I would probably suggest he put the flavo bars, grates and lid in side the vehicle. That would likely bring the weight on the hitch carrier down comfortably under 100. I think most of them can handle way more than that anyway.
With the flavorizer bars, grates, grease pan and possibly the lid removed the grill will be very light. I think light enough for a hitch carrier. The removed parts should easily fit into any car.

The question I would have if the hitch carrier is deep and wide enough for the footprint of the grill. Some of these can be shallow.

Again for weight I would use a standard bathroom scale. Put a small board on it and weigh the grill with the caster wheels on the board and then with the large wheels on the board. And the just add the numbers.

"That would likely bring the weight on the hitch carrier down comfortably under 100. I think most of them can handle way more than that anyway."

I've seen them rated for as little as 50 pounds up to 500. Depends on what he has and also what it's on the back of.

Yah, I am just going to tell him to make sure the carrier can handle at least 100 lbs and to put the lid and internals inside the vehicle. I will also give him measurements.
Then it is up to him. He doesn't want to pay my delivery fee, which is fine for me.

Barb and I can easily load a 1000 into the back of her Hyundai Santa Fe If we take the grates and FBs out along with the grease try, It has to go in on it's side so I usually take the hood off too.

Back