side dishes for Mr. Brown?

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
Hopefully (if I get my water pan from bass pro shops) I'm going to be having the reknowned Mr. Brown over for lunch next weekend. My brother is making a side dish, I am making one as well.

I was looking in the recipes section, and I did find one thing...the jalopeno relish! I'm going to make that as an appetizer.

Any recommendations from you guys and gals about what side dishes go well with Mr. Brown? I was thinking baked beans...but wanted something a little more, I don't know, unusual. But, something that of course compliments Mr. Brown.

I really like a Waldorf salad with butt as an alternative to--or along with--a buttermilk coleslaw. It's a very simple salad of diced tart apples, lemon juice, celery, walnuts (I use pecans sometimes), raisins (I use Zante currants or dried sweetened cranberries sometimes), and just enough mayo to bind it a bit. Works well with pork and well with beans.

A corn side dish can be a nice addition. Grilled corn on-the-cob is always welcome or a simply fresh or frozen corn sauteed in butter till lightly browned with shallot and fresh thyme. Or cornbread made with cheddar and jals--works well with the pork, the apples in the salad, and the beans.

Phil I made some potatoe salad with my butts on the previous weekend and threw in some Mr.Brown rub. It came out real tasty:

Potatoes, 1/2 Mayo, 1/2 Miricle Whip, hickory smoked salt, pepper and a bit of Mr.Brown rub, a bit of prepared mustard. Radishes, celery, green onions, hb eggs.

Originally posted by Scott Greenia:
albeit cliche ... ABT's !

As a side ? Oh yeah !

ABT's? Huh? What the heck is an ABT?

I appreciate the other suggestions as well. I had considered a potato salad. Waldorf salad is a great idea...

BTW, that I was making slaw went without saying.

Phil
Do a search for ABT's..in a nutshell Jalepeno cut in half seeds removed. Fill with cream cheese sprinkle with left over brisket/pork. Wrap in thin bacon and smoke for about 45 mins. Out of this world. You find a bunch of different version on the board with a search

If your que'ing get some whole mushrooms. Some Maple flavored bacon. Slice the stem off flush then wrap in bacon. Sprinkle a littl Mr Brown on them and grill til the bacon is done. They will dissolve or melt in your mouth. I have to do these when I am home alone the kids eat them faster then I can make them.

I quit worring too much about sides w/ pork butts. Seems like we always had tons left over. Any more we go w/:

vinegar slaw
white bread or buns (sometimes cornbread)
maybe baked beans.

Something that you can do very easily, has a bit of a WOW factor, and tastes great:

Baked Beans in an Onion Bowl.

Take a regular onion...cut off the bottom so that it sits even on the grate. Then, hollow out the onion to make a bowl and pour uncooked baked beans in.

Smoke for about an hour and a half. The taste from the onion will merge with the beans to give both a very unique and wonderful flavor.

The onion that you got from hollowing it out can be used for other recipes.

Good luck!

Dang... Sorry I never picked up the reply question to what an ABT is.

Oh.. Cursed my wrecked life that makes me access TVWBB from so many different computers...and cursed thein wicked TVWBB cookie managing robots!
icon_mad.gif

<ahem...I digress>
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I am usually pretty full after beer and trimmings from chopping butt. Sides would merely cause me to HURT myself cause you gotta eat more pig and beer!
icon_biggrin.gif

Back