Side-by-side: BGE-WSM Overnighter

JRPfeff

TVWBB Guru
I'm cooking pulled pork for an event at work which gave me a chance to use my newly acquired (used) BGE and my WSM for a comparison overnight cook.

Loading Specifics

I filled the WSM with 2 pork butts and 2 picnic shoulders. I used some of my old Kingsford stash for fuel, with hickory and peach smoke wood. Piedmont pan with no water.

The BGE was loaded with 1 butt and 1 picnic (this is full capacity without a BGE ($$$) grill extender accessory). Based on owner recommendations I avoided briquettes and used Royal Oak lump in the egg. Evidently, the BGE can self extinguish if too much ash is generated. Smoke was from hickory and cherry wood.

Advantage WSM - Twice the base capacity of the BGE and the ability to successfully use a variety of charcoal types.

Start-up

At 10:00 last night, I Minion'd both smokers using 8 Kingsford briquettes in each. The BGE rapidly came up to target temperature and locked-in near 250F within 30 minutes.

The WSM slowly came to temperature, it was in the 175F range when I went to bed at 11:30.

Advantage BGE - For faster start.

Overnight Temperature Maintenance

I awoke around 3:00 a.m. to check smoker temps. The BGE was still at 250F. The WSM was slightly higher, but in my target range.

Advantage - Even

Morning Temperature Adjustment

I rolled out of bed at 7:30 this morning. The WSM temperature was at 230, and the pork was working through the plateau at 175F. I bumped some ash with a poker and opened the lower vents slightly. Temperature remains steady.

I was slightly horrified to find the BGE in the 175F range this morning. I fully opened the top and bottom vents without much temperature change. At 8:30 I opened the lid and tried to poke at the charcoal to remove some ash. This was not very effective because the BGE must have a "plate setter" accessory installed in order to use the egg as a smoker.

In order to reach the charcoal, I would need to remove the meat, remove the fat-filled drip pan, and remove the plate setter for top access. There is no other way to reach the coals. Temp is now at 190F, so I am going to disassemble the BGE to add charcoal.

Update: At 10:00 the WSM meat was at 190F and ready to pull, smoker temp was also dropping. Foiled pork and placed in cooler. BGE is up to 275F smoker temp after adding a big load of fresh RO lump. Very little remains of the big load from last night. Meat is working through the plateau to 177F.

I removed the meat from the BGE at 12:00 and wrapped held it for pulling.

Advantage WSM - For effective overnight cooking ability.

Cooked Meat Quality

There was no noticeable difference in the flavor and texture of the meat.

Conclusions

From my results I conclude that the WSM is a better cooker for overnight low & slow cooking. Beyond price, the superior capacity and temperature reliability of the WSM beats the BGE.

I will admit that I might have bought the BGE hype about infinite cook times with minimal charcoal. I filled the charcoal chamber to the top, but could have stacked it higher and possibly achieved a successful overnight cook. There was also an issue with the dome thermometer on the egg. I think it was burning 25 degrees higher than indicated (comparing Maverick to lid temps). This could also help explain the fast burn.

That was an interesting and informative post. Not often one would have the opportunity to do a simultaneous cook with 2 cookers for comparison.

For low/slow, my vote is already with the WSM. For capacity, control AND price, how can you beat it ... ?
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Paul

Originally posted by Phil R.:
Jeff,

I'm wondering...how much fuel did each cooker consume? Any big difference?
Phil - I really don't know. I filled both, but don't know the relative capacities. I'll try to check that, but won't have time until next weekend.

Jim

Now THAT'S how one does a valid product comparison. Thank you so much for posting this. It deserves a spot in America's Test Kitchen AND Consumer Reports.

Originally posted by C. Howlett:
Now THAT'S how one does a valid product comparison. Thank you so much for posting this. It deserves a spot in America's Test Kitchen AND Consumer Reports.
Thank you, that is high praise.

I still have a feeling that I am missing something with mastering the BGE. It is supposed to burn longer than that.

Jim

Maybe it had more to do with the fact that you used lump in one and Kingsford in the other. I think that the WSM is by far a better value than the BGE, you can fit more food in it, and it's just as easy, (if not easier) to use. But not holding temp over a length of time has not been a complaint I've heard of the BGE.

I don't know how long you have been using the BGE, and I myself have not used one, but I don't think it is a fair comparison test if you are familiar and comfortable with the use of one product and not the other. Just as there is a learning curve with the WSM, no doubt it takes a few tries with the BGE to get to know the cooker. Think of it this way--how would you feel if a long time BGE user did a comparison test and made newby mistakes with the WSM, thus concluding that the WSM doesn't work for all nighters?

Here is the BGE forum. I would recommend that you ask these folks about what might have gone wrong with the BGE.

BGE has a forum. Put your post on their forum and see what they have to say.
I have an old Kamado that I have done 6 hr cooks on and the BGE developed from it and supose to have improved on it.

Originally posted by David Lohrentz:
I don't know how long you have been using the BGE, and I myself have not used one, but I don't think it is a fair comparison test if you are familiar and comfortable with the use of one product and not the other. Just as there is a learning curve with the WSM, no doubt it takes a few tries with the BGE to get to know the cooker. Think of it this way--how would you feel if a long time BGE user did a comparison test and made newby mistakes with the WSM, thus concluding that the WSM doesn't work for all nighters?

Here is the BGE forum. I would recommend that you ask these folks about what might have gone wrong with the BGE.

David you beat me to it by a few minutes. He should check with them.

I agree that my familiarity with the WSM compromised the comparison. However, having TVWBB as a resource made it possible to have a successful overnight cook my first time out.

The BGE forum is worthless. It is an echo chamber of how they are the best smokers in the universe. The format also makes it impossble to fing useful information. I've asked questions before there about concerns with the BGE and they go unanswered. Only true believers need post, anyone questioning the perfection of the BGE will be shunned. I also hate the stupid egg puns.

I took it easy on them. I'll tell you what I really feel about that site sometime.

Jim

I agree with you Jeff that this site is a big part of what makes the WSM such a great cooker. Without this site, a lot of people would make false, premature assumptions on what the bullet can and cannot do. I just think you owe it to yourself to give the BGE a fair shake, even if the info may be a lot harder to come by.

It would seem to me that one of the big advantages of the BGE is that it would be easier to operate in rain, wind and cold than a WSM. I would love to have one for bad weather usage.

I agree with you Jeff that this site is a big part of what makes the WSM such a great cooker. Without this site, a lot of people would make false, premature assumptions on what the bullet can and cannot do. I just think you owe it to yourself to give the BGE a fair shake, even if the info may be a lot harder to come by.

It would seem to me that one of the big advantages of the BGE is that it would be easier to operate in rain, wind and cold than a WSM. I would love to have one for bad weather usage.
I completely agree David. Hopefully I will learn how to use the egg. The reported outstanding performance is why I bought it.

I will update this thread if my results improve in the future.

nota bene - The Naked Whiz is the best site I have found for ceramic cooker information. If he had a discussion forum it would be the TVWB of the BGE world.

Jim

Check out the Kamado Forum and send them your post. Richard Johnson was building the Kamado before BGE came into the business. He started in the 1960's in Japan. Mine is one of them which I bought in 1970. You'll get more info from him and the forum which is like this one.

The Naked Whiz site is the place for the most info on ceramic cookers, practically everyone says to burn the instructions you get with the BGE, the forum is useless if you try to do a search. I have an Imperial Kamado and a BGE, similar but different beasts, the IK you use a maximum 25-30 briqs and add as you cook, kind of labor intensive like an offset, the BGE you fill the firering and should not have to add any fuel for long cooks, If you were to do that in an earthenware Kamado, it will overheat and could crack. I'm still learning the BGE as I am the WSM, I find that the best info I get is from BGE users that have multiple cookers,WSM'S, BDS's and are more inclined to be realistic and not biased one way or the other.

I am thinking about getting a BGE. I checked out their forum after reading this post. Why would they not want a comparison of their products. I too agree that not only the price and ease of use along with this website make the WSM the ultimate cooker for the newbie or the consummate professional, which I now know there are many professionals ready and willing to help out with any problem. I love this website and my WSM!

I am so glad you posted this. I wanted to BGE and could not justify the price. You also pointed out several other things that would irritate me..Capacity and no easy of adding fuel. I am now even happier with my WSM. Also, it goes without saying that the people on this site make the WSM a better product all around!
icon_smile.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I, too, am thinking about getting the BGE. It seems to me the extra value in the BGE that isn't being compared or really mentioned in this post is its aptitude at high-temp grilling (not to mention baking).

Brian,

Do you find that it's really a great high-temp grill or are all the egghead's claims there just hype? I love my WSM and think it's a great investment, but imagine that the BGE would be a better griller than slow smoker.

All that being said, there's really nothing out there to compare to this forum. It's the best.

I got my BGE used and it has a cracked firebox so I'm not inclined to use it for high temp sears, If I were to I would put a smaller grate (Smokey Joe) on top of the firebowl,closer to the coals, which I do with the Imperial Kamado, I don't see the point or have the time to fire up the Egg for for a few minute cook. I've only done one long cook with the BGE and It was shortly after I got it, I made a few mistakes like not filling the firebox with enough lump, using spent coals, not clearing the ash, etc. And the capacity is another issue, even with a grate extender, I'm not wild about cramming a lot of meats on an 18" grate, that's just me!
I do have the platesetter and do bake with it and cook pizzas, though not as hot as the Eggers suggest. (Just go through the BGE forum and see how many new users a day loose their gaskets or the lids heat seal together!) I'll be attending the PNW Eggfest and see for myself, I'm still young and impressionable, but wary of cults!!

Back