Side Burner - No Gas Flow

John-NY

TVWBB Pro
I’m getting no gas from this side burner.

Using a detector and with the quick connect disconnected, nothing is coming out of the flex hose. I traced the entire flex hose with the detector and can’t find any leaks anywhere.

My assumption is that something is clogged in the hose…even though that’s probably unlikely?

So I’m trying to twist off the hose at the nut connection, but the entire threads into the pipe are turning also.

Is that ok, or do I need to get the nut off the threads?

Also, what else could the problem be?

IMG_0203.jpegIMG_0204.jpeg

Unfortunately no luck.
I’m pretty confident I have it on all the way. I’ve connected and disconnected these many times before.

Any idea what this black box is for?
Could that be contributing to the issue? When I turn the knob to open the valve, I hear a “click”, and then if I turn it back in the other direction (closed), the same “click”. I don’t recall hearing that on these models before.

IMG_0208.jpegIMG_0209.jpegIMG_0210.jpeg

It looks like some kind of safety valve. Looks like you have a line going into that fitting and gas supposed to go through based on that valve would be my guess. There may be a way to bypass that. But IDK even what grill it is

Yah, we need some additional information on that grill. The older grills didn't have the "black box" and only had an in going line. It looks like that has an out flow as well.
Maybe some photos of the overall grill and some photos of the burner with and without the trivet and diffuser installed.

Sorry, it’s a Genesis II E-330. Maybe I’ll unscrew those screws on that black box later and peek inside

IMG_0218.jpeg

I'll lay odds it's some kind of "safety" device. See if you can bypass it. I'll lay odds the burner will work

My Vieluxe with enclosed side burners has a mechanical gas shutoff that opens the supply valve when drawer is slid over to operate.

My Summit 450 side burner has a cover with the entire rear exposed for ventilation and no gas safety interlock.

It could be the quick connect that is clogged. I had an issue with my summit gasser not getting enough gas. I replaced the burner tubes and the regulator and I was about to replace the manifold when I finally thought about replacing the quick connect because it was cheaper and it was the last thing to replace other than the manifold and that actually fixed the issue.

It could be the quick connect that is clogged. I had an issue with my summit gasser not getting enough gas. I replaced the burner tubes and the regulator and I was about to replace the manifold when I finally thought about replacing the quick connect because it was cheaper and it was the last thing to replace other than the manifold and that actually fixed the issue.
Thanks, do you have an Amazon or website link to the part I could try (that you replaced on yours)?
I understand it could be technically different due to the model, but just want to see exactly what you replaced.

Mine was for a 3/4 quick connect for natural gas, so I'm assuming the replacement you will need will be different. And the CFO (wife) bought it so I don't have a link. But I would take the quick connect out (see pic below) and just take it to Ace or Lowes and get the same fittings, they should be relatively cheap, less than $20. And you might want to get some yellow thread tape that is rated for gas instead of using the white Teflon tape. Here is an example from Walmart.

1728585069472.png

Thank you!
In the meantime I did an experiment and proved it’s something with the Valve or Valve Safety mechanism I’m assuming.

I attached the grill’s side burner quick connect to a different side burner I had laying around.
Gas comes out of that one no problem.
At least now I know!

IMG_0226.jpeg

Last edited:
On those small fittings better to use dope. That yellow tape is pretty thick and the threads on small fittings are pretty fine and tight. Dope gets in and seals better

Back