Side burner igniter no longer works

JerrySurowiec

I have a Genesis II LX 440 dating from 2017 that I purchased in 2019. The igniters on each of the four burners work just fine but the side burner is dead. I turn on the gas and press the knob in but no “snap, snap, snap.” This is odd as I probably used the side burner 3x total in 5 years but now I have a need for it but it does not ignite. Battery is new and like I said, the other burners ignite just fine. All wires seem to be intact. What part should I replace first?

The Genesis II 440 has two ignitors controllers. one for the main burners and one for the side burner.

Did you change the battery for the side burner igniter?
Maybe the battery holder has some corrosion.

I looked up the part and have sticker shock.

If the igniter is bad, I'd have a hard time spending $50+ on a new igniter and would just use a stick lighter.

hopefully it is just the battery or corrosion.

The Genesis II 440 has two ignitors controllers. one for the main burners and one for the side burner.

Did you change the battery for the side burner igniter?
Maybe the battery holder has some corrosion.

I looked up the part and have sticker shock.

If the igniter is bad, I'd have a hard time spending $50+ on a new igniter and would just use a stick lighter.

hopefully it is just the battery or corrosion.
you might be right. I am watching a youtube assembly video and there appears to be a second AA battery for the side igniter that is carefully hidden away in the back. Will have another look.

Last edited:
and in fact, it was a dead battery. The battery for the side burner is in the back of the grill and I had forgotten about it. New battery and “snap, snap, snap. We have ignition.”

Back