Sick of Cherry on poultry

Brandon A

TVWBB All-Star
Is anyone else sick of cherry smoke on poultry? I smoked/grilled a bunch of big chicken breasts this weekend for sandwiches during the week, and I'm not all that fond of them. I think I've just grown tired of the cherry smoke flavor on poultry. Any thoughts?

I've never used cherry since it isn't readily available around here, I've always liked apple and hickory, just keep it light on the smoke.

I tend to mix apple, cherry and hickory rather than go with any one wood. Change the proportions of course depending on the mood. I like cherry but I can see how it would get boring to use only one smoke wood for any particular meat.

I've only used cherry a couple of times on poultry, but i really like using Alder instead.

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:
Is anyone else sick of cherry smoke on poultry? I smoked/grilled a bunch of big chicken breasts this weekend for sandwiches during the week, and I'm not all that fond of them. I think I've just grown tired of the cherry smoke flavor on poultry. Any thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, skip the wood totally! I prefer little to NO wood at all on chicken.

I'm with Larry, poultry rarely gets any wood, especially if I brine it, then no wood for sure. I've done some turkeys with cherry, and they were very good, but oak turkey has also been tasty. Cherry for is rare, so I haven't been able to tire of it yet.

I like a little bit of maple with chickens... not much though, just enough to paint them with a bit of flavor. FWIW I usually brine with salt, garlic, and bay -- no sugar.

If you can get your hands on it , try some sugar maple, and then season your chicken with some lemon pepper. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Brandon, hickory and oak impart a real intense flavor so use sparingly. Maple, and apple would complement it well but remember you can easily over smoke poultry with too much of any wood

All kinds of ideas to try out, I do have some nice smaller chunks of sugar maple, so I'll give your idea a try Ed, also think I may give Larry's no wood suggestion a try. For some reason I had it stuck in my head that cherry is the only way to go for poultry, time to switch things up a bit!

Brandon,I've got some apple that I bought last year for the thanksgiving turkey. It was great! It gives a milder flavor than hickory.HTH

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yes, skip the wood totally! I prefer little to NO wood at all on chicken.

Larry Wolfe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ditto. Good lump alone works for me.

Back