Shredded Beef

Just checked in to look at rub recipes on this post. 46 degrees in my back yard this AM. Have to put a little extra Rancher charcoal in the smoker, I guess. Looks like it's going to be a "Great Day" to Smoke.

Mission Accomplished. Roasts came out very good.Smoked @ 300 about 2.5 hrs., meat temp 160 ish, then foilded with some added beef broth, cooked until tender, let rest about an hour or so, pulled, seasoned and enjoyed. Got some good reviews from our guests. Will make this Roast again for sure. Thanks All. One question, Do the more experienced out there, cook a Chuck Roast, with out foiling it? Just curious. If so what if anything do you do differently ?
John

It has more to do with desired finish than experience--and the nature of your roast. Chuck can get stringy as it loses moisture and the fat renders. The best candidates for a foil-less cook, imo, are chuck eye and chuck top blade. (They are not large roasts though.) For generic roasts go for thinner rather than thicker (2-3 inches is good), or, if cooking thicker or if cooking a cross-cut roast (which contains sections of different parts of the chuck--like a 7-blade roast), plan to flip a couple times.

Well I tried the chuck roast cook for the first time. I got 2 roasts totaling 5lbs. I cooked these on my 22 on touch silver at 300 with a rack of beef ribs, around 2.5 lbs. The roasts hit 170 degrees at the 2hr mark, I wrapped and put back on for about an hour. Hit 195 degrees and I too the off and let rest about 20 minutes.
I thought they would have pulled, but we had to slice them. I thought some of it was good but the majority of it seemed a little dry and a little tough. What went wrong? Thanks.

They were undercooked.

Internal temps should be thought of as guides for checking doneness, not doneness itself. I don't check temp at all in these situations (high heat cooks) because it doesn't tell you much. Use the probe (or a fork) to feel for done. It will insert effortlessly--like it is going into butter. You can pull just prior to that point (and let residual cooking during the rest take it home) or you can pull right at 'done'.

I agree with Kevin. When I did mine, I pulled at around 205 after foiling with some beef broth. Definitely was not dry.

Back