Shredded Beef = First Chuck Roast

MattP

TVWBB Super Fan
We'll be entertaining some guests for dinner on Saturday and I plan on making some shredded beef sandwiches. I'm thinking that I will utilize this recipe for inspiration, as I have no need to do a full 15 pound chuck roll.

Now, I don't have my chuck roast yet, but I'm hoping to get one that's between four and six pounds in weight. In that linked recipe, I see they took a six pounder and quartered it prior to putting on the smoker. Here's where I'm thinking I might stray from the recipe-- I'm curious about just doing it whole.

Any thoughts on maybe approx how long I should give myself to get, say, a six pound chuck roast done? Hour per pound, two? I know that it seems like I should base this more off of temperature, which I certainly plan to do, but at the same time I want to make sure I give myself enough time. Also, I'm not sure if I would foil this when smoking-- guess I'd be interested in hearing pros/cons about that method.

Do you realize that you'll lose about 45%? Just asking. I do chuck roasts whole in the 250 - 275* range. Foil about 160 and cook until the meat is very tender, fork tender and forget about the meat temp. If you cannot put a fork in it and twirl the meat like spaghetti, it isn't done. Estimate 2 hours per lb will give you plenty of time . Some say 3 hours, but I've never had one take that long. Be patient. There's a lot of "stuff" in a chuck roast that has to be rendered

Last edited:
Do you realize that you'll lose about 45%? Just asking.

Wasn't aware of this much. When one says "you'll lose" are you referring to weight that is lost due to the fat rendering? I still don't need a huge roast to start, as it'll only be four adults and a kid, but at the same time it's good for me to keep in mind that if I start with a three pound roast it won't remain three pounds.

I do chuck roasts whole in the 250 - 275* range. Foil about 160 and cook until the meat is very tender, fork tender and forget about the meat temp. If you cannot put a fork in it and twirl the meat like spaghetti, it isn't done. Estimate 2 hours per lb will give you plenty of time . Some say 3 hours, but I've never had one take that long. Be patient. There's a lot of "stuff" in a chuck roast that has to be rendered

Thanks for the thoughts. At this point maybe it seems like I should figure ballpark two hours per pound.

N00b question regarding foiling-- do I just wrap the meat in foil and put it back on the cooking rack? Tightly wrap it or loosely wrap it?

When it hits 160* I just put the Chuck Roast in a foil pan with some liquid and cover, cook untill fork tender like Dave/G said.

Yes, the weight due to all the fat etc that renders during the smoke. I'd give it a bit of room in the foil. Some add a bit of liquid when foiling. Yes, back on the smoker. It'll need more cooking time to get to that fall apart tender stage. If you do a search for chuck you'll find plenty of information. Foiling isn't required, but it does hasten the cook. Be careful when you check for tenderness and when you take in off the smoker as the meat/juice will be very hot. Obviously, be careful not to puncture the foil

Back