Shout out to Calphalon Cookware

I keep trying to come up with an excuse to upgrade to all-clad, but this stuff keeps holding up. If I was starting over, I’d buy all-clad a piece at a time. I still might.
At my local discount store, a 10" tri-ply All-Clad skillet is $70, vs $17 for the equivalent Calphalon. To be fair, the aluminum layer is thicker on the All-clad, but not worth over 4X the price IMHO. Yet I still want to buy American.

At my local discount store, a 10" tri-ply All-Clad skillet is $70, vs $17 for the equivalent Calphalon. To be fair, the aluminum layer is thicker on the All-clad, but not worth over 4X the price IMHO. Yet I still want to buy American.
Estate sales and EBay are your friends. There is no shame in buying quality stuff like that previously loved. I have and I defy anyone to tell that I did not buy it new. I have 2 tri ply SS skillets of the same size (10") one from Tramontina and the other All Clad. Differences. The Tramontina is excellent looking and feeling but offers quite a bit less "real estate" for cooking area. The All Clad has close to 2" more actual cooking surface. The All Clad is also lighter weight. (IDK how they do that). I like the way the Tramontina is finished better than the All Clad though. Smoother edges and IMO a slightly more comfortable handle (though shorter and at not as good an angle). Also the All Clad is quite a bit more even at heat dispersion than the Tramontina. Both are very nice to use, and cook nicely. I did not pay much for the All Clad as I got it from an estate sale. IIRC maybe $25

Estate sales and EBay are your friends. There is no shame in buying quality stuff like that previously loved. I have and I defy anyone to tell that I did not buy it new. I have 2 tri ply SS skillets of the same size (10") one from Tramontina and the other All Clad. Differences. The Tramontina is excellent looking and feeling but offers quite a bit less "real estate" for cooking area. The All Clad has close to 2" more actual cooking surface. The All Clad is also lighter weight. (IDK how they do that). I like the way the Tramontina is finished better than the All Clad though. Smoother edges and IMO a slightly more comfortable handle (though shorter and at not as good an angle). Also the All Clad is quite a bit more even at heat dispersion than the Tramontina. Both are very nice to use, and cook nicely. I did not pay much for the All Clad as I got it from an estate sale. IIRC maybe $25
We have some All-Clad non stick. It's fairly good quality but the handles are actually painful to hold.

The All Clad non stick IIRC is not made by All Clad. I could be wrong, but I was looking at it a while ago at Bed Bath and Beyond and what I saw was not made like the SS stuff but, yeah even on the made in USA SS stuff the handles leave something to be desired. Though, in some conditions I fully understand the reasoning behind why it's like that

Back